COVID-19 boosters now available for children 5-11
On Thursday, May 19, the CDC approved COVID-19 booster shots for children ages 5-11 using the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine. This will be the third shot for the majority of vaccinated children, and potentially the fourth shot for those who are immunocompromised. To be eligible, at least five months must have passed since the child’s last COVID vaccination.
UK Pharmacy Services is beginning these vaccinations immediately at our UK PharmacistCare Clinic at 245 Fountain Court, Room 220. Appointments are strongly recommended and can be made by clicking the green REQUEST A VACCINE button below. Up to five children may be registered for each appointment time. This location is easy-access and offers plenty of free parking, and every effort has been made to make the atmosphere low-stress for children.
Appointments for this age group are available weekdays from 1:30 p.m. to 5 p.m.
All vaccinations for those age 5-17 are given at the Fountain Court location. Vaccinations for those 18 and over continue to be available and are offered at several UK Retail Pharmacy locations in Lexington. More information is available by scrolling down this page.
PLEASE NOTE THAT A PARENT OR LEGAL GUARDIAN MUST ACCOMPANY ALL CHILDREN (UNDER AGE 18) TO THE VACCINATION APPOINTMENT.
Vaccination, boosters available for ages 5 and up
Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna vaccines are available to those over age 18. For those under 18, only the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine has been approved. (Note that the Johnson & Johnson vaccine is no longer offered.) MINORS MUST BE ACCOMPANIED TO THE APPOINTMENT BY A PARENT OR LEGAL GUARDIAN.
Vaccination is being offered by UK HealthCare free, and insurance is not required. Note that minors must be accompanied to the appointment by a parent or legal guardian.
All vaccination appointments, including booster appointments, should be requested using the button below. For more information on pediatric shots and booster shots, please scroll down this page.
After you request a vaccination:
- The invitation will be sent to the email address you provide on this form.
- Look for an email from UK HEALTHCARE VACCINATIONS.
- Once you receive the invitation, please respond as quickly as possible. You will get an access code that allows you to schedule your appointment. This code is FOR YOUR USE ONLY.
- Your information will be reported to the state for the Kentucky Immunization Registry but will not be used for any other purposes.
- IMPORTANT: UNLESS THIS IS YOUR FIRST VACCINATION FOR COVID-19, YOU MUST BRING YOUR CDC VACCINATION CARD WITH YOU TO THE APPOINTMENT. REPLACEMENT CARDS CANNOT BE ISSUED AT THE CLINIC. (Lost your card? Request a copy.)
After you click the “Request a vaccination” button above, you will be taken to a page where you can select "Children age 5-17" or “Adults (Age 18 and up).”
After you complete the vaccination request form, you will receive an email inviting you to make an appointment at the UK HealthCare Pharmacy Services vaccination location of your choice. (Please note that all vaccinations for children are being given at 245 Fountain Court, off Man O'War Boulevard in South Lexington. This location is easy-access and offers plenty of free parking, and every effort has been made to make the atmosphere low-stress for children.) Once you receive the invitation, please respond as quickly as possible. Depending on demand and appointment availability, it may take several days for you to receive this invitation. Once you receive the invitation, please respond as quickly as possible.
- You will get an access code that allows you to schedule your appointment. This code is FOR YOUR USE ONLY. Do not share your access code with others. Instead, we encourage you to share ukvaccine.org with anyone interested in receiving vaccination. At this time, there is plenty of vaccine available for anyone who registers for an appointment.
Please note the following:
- The FDA has officially approved the Pfizer vaccine to prevent COVID-19 in people 16 and older. People ages 5-15 may receive the vaccine under an Emergency Use Authorization (EUA). However, anyone younger than 18 who receives a vaccination appointment must come to the appointment with a parent or legal guardian.
- The Moderna vaccine has been approved for use by the FDA.
- Both the Pfizer and Moderna COVID-19 vaccines require two doses – an initial shot that will be followed by a second shot weeks later. UK HealthCare is prepared to provide individuals with both doses, as well as a third-shot booster when sufficient time has elapsed. Read more about the vaccines.
- UK HealthCare does not charge for COVID vaccination. No proof of insurance is required.
- Those who cannot access our online tools, or need assistance filling out this form, may call 859-218-6221 for assistance.
- If you have questions about the COVID-19 vaccines, please visit our FAQs.
- If you have a health condition and have questions about whether vaccination is recommended for you, please talk to your health care provider.
Second boosters available for those 50+ and those who are immunocompromised
Following FDA’s regulatory action on March 29, 2022, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has updated its COVID-19 vaccination guidance to give some individuals the option to receive a second booster dose using an mRNA COVID-19 vaccine.
These individuals include:
- People ages 50 years and older who received an initial COVID-19 booster dose (regardless of which vaccine was used) at least 4 months ago.
- People ages 12 years and older who are moderately or severely immunocompromised who received an initial COVID-19 booster dose (regardless of which vaccine was used) at least 4 months ago.
- People ages 18 years and older who received both a primary dose and a booster dose of J&J/Janssen COVID-19 vaccine at least 4 months ago.
The CDC continues to recommend that all eligible adults, adolescents and children ages 5 and older be up-to-date on their COVID-19 vaccines, which includes getting an initial booster when eligible.
UK HealthCare is making the recommended boosters available to anyone who qualifies. Boosters can be obtained by scheduling an appointment using the green REGISTER FOR A VACCINE button above or by going to one of UK HealthCare Retail Pharmacy locations that accept walk-ins.
- Kentucky Clinic Pharmacy (first floor, near the main information desk), 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. weekdays
- Fountain Court Vaccination Clinic, 245 Fountain Court
- Ages 12 and up: 9 a.m. - 1 p.m. weekdays
- Ages 12-17 ONLY: 1:30-5 p.m. weekdays (Appointments strongly recommended for ages 5-11.)
By appointment only:
- Chandler Hospital and Good Samaritan Hospital retail pharmacies
- Turfland Retail Pharmacy, (enter via Barnstable Brown entrance)
- University Health Pharmacy
Request an appointment by clicking the green button.
Pediatric vaccination clinic for ages 5-17
Our kids vaccination clinic is low stress!
COVID-19 vaccinations are available for children age 5-17. To register your child(ren) for an appointment, you may click here or click on the green REQUEST A VACCINATION button below. Our pediatric vaccination clinic is located at 245 Fountain Court, off Man O' War Boulevard in Lexington. The location is easy-access and offers plenty of free surface parking, and we've made every effort to make the experience low-stress for kids. The clinic is open 1:30 p.m. - 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. (Appointments for adults are available at this location Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-1 p.m. See other adult locations below.) Invitations to make an appointment for your child(ren) will be sent to you via email as appointments are available. Please note that a parent or legal guardian must accompany all children to the appointment.
Booster shots encouraged for everyone age 16 and up
Adults (age 18 and over)
Booster shots are now available and encouraged for all adults in the United States who previously received two doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna COVID-19 vaccines or one dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine. (Note that we no longer offer the Johnson & Johnson vaccine; those who received this vaccine and wish to have a booster may choose one of the other vaccines.)
People age 18 and over may choose which vaccine they receive as a booster dose. Some people may have a preference for the vaccine type that they originally received, while others may prefer to get a different booster. The CDC’s recommendations now allow for this type of mix and match dosing for booster shots.
Children ages 5-17
Boosters are now approved for everyone age 5 and up. Only the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine is authorized for these ages. At least five months must have elapsed since the completion of the primary two-shot vaccination series. PLEASE NOTE THAT A PARENT OR GUARDIAN MUST ACCOMPANY ALL MINORS TO THE VACCINATION APPOINTMENT.
To register for a booster appointment
You may register for a booster appointment using the green REQUEST A VACCINATION button above. Those over 18 may also walk-in at You must bring your CDC vaccination card or proof of vaccination to the appointment. (Lost your card? Request a copy.) Note that replacement cards cannot be issued at the booster appointment.
UK HealthCare now offers vaccinations at:
Kentucky Clinic Pharmacy – 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday-Friday; Pfizer only.
- 740 S. Limestone, Lexington, KY 40536
DIRECTIONS AND PARKING: Kentucky Clinic Pharmacy is located just inside the main entrance of the Kentucky Clinic Building, near the information desk. Short-term parking spaces reserved for pharmacy customers are available on the front loop of the building. You may also park in the Kentucky Clinic Parking Garage on Huguelet Avenue. (There is a charge for parking.) From the garage, enter the building through the double doors, turn right and walk down the long hallway. Take the elevator on the left at the end of the hall to the first floor if necessary. As you exit the elevator, the pharmacy will be directly to your left.
Turfland Retail Pharmacy – 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.; Monday-Friday; Pfizer and Moderna
- 2195 Harrodsburg Road, Lexington, KY 40504
DIRECTIONS AND PARKING: Turfland Retail Pharmacy is located inside the UK HealthCare outpatient services center at Turfland, 2195 Harrodsburg Road. Free surface parking is available. Park anywhere and enter via the Barnstable Brown Diabetes Center entrance (Entrance B). Walk straight until you reach the pharmacy. Please note that curbside service is not available at this time.
University Health Pharmacy – Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.; Pfizer (every day), and Moderna (Fridays only)
- 830 South Limestone, Lexington, KY 40536
DIRECTIONS AND PARKING: For University Health Pharmacy, park in the Kentucky Clinic Parking Garage on Huguelet Avenue. (Note that there will be a fee for parking.) As you enter the Kentucky Clinic building from the garage, go through the large double doors immediately in front of you and, if necessary, take the elevator to the first floor. Exit the elevator to the left and proceed down the long hallway toward the Starbucks. Just past the Starbucks, there will be a vestibule with vending machines to the right. Exit the building there, and cross directly into the University Health Service Building. Vaccinations will be given on the first floor, in the open area just past the staircase.
Fountain Court –
ADULT Clinic (ONLY 12 years old and older) – Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.; Pfizer and Moderna
PEDIATRIC Clinic (ONLY 5-17 year olds) – Monday-Friday, 1:30 p.m. – 5 p.m.
- 245 Fountain Court, Lexington, KY 40509
DIRECTIONS AND PARKING: Fountain Court is located near the intersection of Richmond Road and Man O'War Blvd. Please enter through Blazer Parkway off Man O'War. Turn left onto Fountain Court and follow the signs to building 245. Free surface parking is available. The vaccination clinic is located on the second floor.
Chandler Retail Pharmacy – 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday-Thursday; Pfizer adult only and Moderna.
- UK Chandler Hospital Pavilion A, first floor. 1000 S. Limestone, Lexington, KY 40536.
DIRECTIONS AND PARKING: Paid parking is available in the UK HealthCare garage just across S. Limestone from the hospital. Cross the pedestrian bridge at Level C of the garage. The pharmacy is located near the end of the bridge, just behind the gift shop and across from Surgery Waiting. Follow signs.
Good Samaritan Retail Pharmacy – 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., Monday-Friday; Pfizer adult only and Moderna.
- 310 S. Limestone, Lexington, KY 40508. Just inside the main hospital entrance.
DIRECTIONS AND PARKING: Free temporary surface parking is available in the paid spots just outside the hospital entrance. Free parking is also available in the Good Samaritan Hospital Garage.
COVID vaccines: fact versus fiction
Vince Venditto, PhD, from the University of Kentucky College of Pharmacy, has extensive expertise in vaccine design and development. He’s separating fact from fiction regarding the COVID-19 vaccines. Read the article »