/ by UK HealthCare
One of the best parts of the Super Bowl is gathering with friends and family to enjoy the game – and the commercials.
It’s not all fun, though – the average fan eats about an entire day’s worth of calories during the game – one of the biggest calorie fests of the year for many Americans.
However, you don’t have to wreck your diet – or eat a boring, bland meal. Try these eating strategies to have a fun and healthy Super Bowl.
If you’re watching the game at a bar or restaurant, try these helpful tips:
- Check the menu first – avoid anything fried, and look for healthier grilled, baked or steamed options.
- If you order a salad, get the dressing on the side – then you can control how much you use.
- Split an entrée with a friend. Half the meal means half the calories.
- Drink plenty of water – especially if you’re drinking alcohol. Have a full glass of water after each drink.
- For pizza, try vegetable toppings instead of meat.
If you’re eating at home or at a friend’s house, try these healthy substitutions:
- Instead of chips or crackers, try fresh vegetables like celery or carrots for dips.
- Eat baked tortilla chips instead of regular, fried chips.
- Use ground turkey instead of beef for chili or burgers.
- Swap low-fat Greek yogurt for sour cream.
- Bake sweet potato fries instead of regular French fries.
- Try making mini pizzas on English muffins or corn tortillas – and load them up with vegetables.