John R. van Nagell received his medical degree from the University of Pennsylvania,School of Medicine, Philadelphia. He then completed a fellowship at the University of Kentucky.
He is board certified by the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology in Gynecologic Oncology. He is an American Cancer Society Professor of Clinical Oncology, and am the past president of the Society of Gynecologic Oncology.
Faculty RankProfessor of Obstetrics and Gynecology
University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia
University of Kentucky
University of Kentucky
Certifications and Special Training
American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology
American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Gynecologic Oncology
- Transvaginal sonography as a screening method for ovarian cancer. A report of the first 1000 cases screened. van Nagell JR Jr, Higgins RV, Donaldson ES, Gallion HH, Powell DE, Pavlik EJ, Woods CH and Thompson EA. Cancer 65:573-7, 1990.
- Ovarian cancer screening. van Nagell JR Jr, Gallion HH, Pavlik EJ and DePriest PD. Cancer 76:2086-91, 1995.
- Ovarian cancer screening with annual transvaginal sonography: findings of 25,000 women screened. van Nagell JR Jr, DePriest PD, Ueland FR, DeSimone CP, Cooper AL, McDonald JM, Pavlik EJ and Kryscio RJ. Cancer 109:1887-96, 2007.
- Long-term survival of women with epithelial ovarian cancer detected by ultrasonographic screening. van Nagell JR Jr, Miller RW, DeSimone CP, Ueland FR, Podzielinski I, Goodrich ST, Elder JW, Huang B, Kryscio RJ, and Pavlik EJ. Obstet Gynecol 118:1212-21, 2011.
- Ovarian cancer screening. van Nagell JR Jr and Pavlik EJ. Clin Obstet Gynecol 55:43-51, 2012.
Cancer Center Member
Ovarian cancer screening.
- Translational Oncology
College & Department
- College of Medicine
- Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology
2017, Distinguished Service Award, Society of Gynecologic Oncology
Gynecologic Oncology Clinic
UK Markey Cancer CenterWhitney-Hendrickson BuildingFax 859-323-1602800 Rose St.
Third Floor, Room 330A
Lexington, KY 40536
A parking lot is located near the Whitney-Hendrickson Building, accessible via Hospital Drive. Get directions to Whitney-Hendrickson.
View or print a map of the UK HealthCare main campus (PDF, 228 KB)
Insurance policies can vary widely. Please check with your doctor/clinic for specific insurance information before your visit or procedure to avoid unexpected out-of-pocket costs. See list of insurers