Supervised Exercise Training for Peripheral Artery Disease and Intermittent Claudication
Peripheral artery disease (PAD) is a serious but treatable disease that can cause pain and numbness in the leg muscles. Intermittent claudication (IC) occurs when PAD causes cramping in the affected leg(s). PAD increases your risk of coronary heart disease, heart attack, stroke and transient ischemic attack (mini-stroke). An effective treatment is regular physical activity. Your doctor may recommend a program of Supervised Exercise Training, also known as cardiac rehabilitation.
Supervised Exercise Training Offers Patients
- Beginning and maintaining a personalized exercise plan that works for you.
- An assessment of your risk factors for heart and blood vessel disease.
- Counseling and a psychological/stress assessment.
- The education and support to make healthy lifestyle changes such as maintaining a healthy weight, healthy eating, and avoiding tobacco and environmental smoke.
- The opportunity to meet and share stories with other patients like you.
Benefits of Supervised Exercise Training
- Live longer and reduce your risk of coronary heart disease, heart attack, stroke and transient ischemic attack (mini-stroke).
- Increase your ability to walk farther and longer without pain.
- Control heart disease symptoms such as chest pain or shortness of breath.
- Stop or reverse damage to the blood vessels in your heart and legs.
- Improve your stamina and strength, getting you back to your usual activities, including work, hobbies and regular exercise.
- Improve your confidence and well-being.
- Monitoring and better control of blood pressure, lipids/cholesterol and diabetes.
- Improved communication with your doctor and other healthcare providers about your progress following your diagnosis of PAC or IC.
Our goal is to help you to live longer, improve your quality of life, and improve your ability to walk farther and longer without pain.
Research has shown supervised exercise to be an effective, minimally invasive method to relieve the most common symptoms associated with PAD and IC. Supervised exercise has been shown to perform as well as more invasive revascularization treatments for reducing common symptoms.
Supervised exercise training for PAD and IC may be covered by your insurance. For patients without insurance, or to see if you qualify, contact UK Cardiac Rehabilitation at 859-323-5424 to find out what programs are available.