Try these 5 easy and healthy breakfast recipes
It’s true what your mom said: Breakfast is one of the most important meals of the day. When you are sleeping, your body is essentially fasting, and your metabolism slows down. Eating breakfast can help to get your metabolism up and going.
It can also help you better manage and maintain your weight, manage your appetite, and make healthy dietary choices. Incorporating a good source of protein, fiber and calories during your meal can give you the energy you need to get through your morning and also set you up for a more balanced day.
Eating breakfast during cancer treatment will help to manage appetite concerns as well. Here are five easy, healthy breakfast recipes to start your day off right.
1. Breakfast Burrito: This recipe provides a great balance of the food groups you should try to incorporate in meals: protein (eggs, beans), vegetables (onions, peppers), dairy (sour cream, yogurt salsa), and whole grains (wheat tortillas). While this item is a bit more labor intensive, it’s great to make ahead of time and store as a grab-and-go breakfast during the week.
2. Egg Muffins: These muffins are also a great on-the-go snack that can be made ahead of time. Before baking, consider adding veggies or ground turkey to get some added fiber and protein in your day.
3. Yogurt Parfait: This layered breakfast will make you feel like you are eating dessert! The berries add sweetness to the yogurt, and granola and walnuts not only add a crunch but also fiber, protein and healthy fats, too. If you have difficulty with textures or swallowing, swap the nuts and granola for some nut butter.
4. Oatmeal: Oatmeal is a great source of whole grains and fiber. This recipe provides servings of fruits, grains and protein. While this recipe has some nuts and seeds, it can also be tweaked to make it a tolerable texture if you’re having difficulty swallowing or chewing by adding your choice of nut butter. If taste changes related to treatment are an issue, feel free to add foods that are most tolerable to you.
5. Avocado Toast: Avocado toast will provide a serving of whole grains from the toast and some fiber and healthy fats from the avocado. And there are many variations that can be made to taste, so feel free to experiment!