/ by UK HealthCare
Acne and unwanted breakouts are generally associated with the trials of teenage years. Now that you’re an adult, you should have clear skin, right? In reality, more than half of adults get acne. If you are suffering from adult acne, you're not alone.
Here are a few reasons why adults still get flare-ups:
- You’re stressed. Stress is the leading cause of adult acne. Anxiety causes a surge of hormones in the body, which stimulates oil glands and hair follicles in the skin, producing an excess of sebum, or oil, in the skin.
- You’re using the wrong skincare products. Not all products work for all people, especially those with acne-prone skin. Look for words and phrases like “oil-free” and “non-comedogenic” on package labels to avoid clogging your pores.
- Family history. Like most health issues, family history can play a major role in the likelihood of being predisposed to adult acne.
- It’s a side effect. Some medications like antidepressants, epilepsy medicines and even some birth controls are known to cause acne.
How to treat adult acne
New treatments and miracle cure fads arise constantly. But just remember that everyone is different and will have different results. Achieving clear, healthy skin is often a process of trial and error. In the meantime, here are some things to try:
- Avoid touching your face. It’s tempting to pick at or squeeze acne that appears. This only makes it worse or even causes it to spread.
- Try over-the-counter treatments. Differin gel (Adapalene is the generic formulation) is now over-the-counter and is an effective first-line agent that you apply in a small amount to the entire face, daily or every other day, to address all the underlying issues with acne formation. If you experience inflamed breakouts, benzoyl peroxide is helpful, too.
- Look for calming ingredients. When choosing products like moisturizers, look for ingredients like aloe, oatmeal or green tea that are naturally calming to irritated skin.
- Make an appointment with your dermatologist. Your dermatologist is your best bet in the fight against adult acne. They can give you a more detailed regimen, do in-office treatments or decide on a prescribed medication.