/ by UK HealthCare
Quitting smoking is obviously good for your long-term health, but did you know there are immediate benefits? If you quit smoking right now, your health improves within minutes. Here’s a timeline of the positive changes you can look forward to when you quit:
- After 20 minutes, your blood pressure, pulse rate and the temperature of your hands and feet return to the normal rate.
- After 12 hours, your blood oxygen levels and carbon monoxide levels return to normal.
- After 24 hours, you have lowered your chance at having a heart attack.
- Within 48 hours, your sense of smell and taste return to normal.
- Within 72 hours, breathing becomes easier and your lung function increases.
- Within two weeks, blood circulation in your gums and teeth is back to normal.
- In 1 to 3 months, your circulation improves, walking is easier and your chronic cough goes away.
- In 1-9 months, your lungs are cleaner and your energy level increases.
- In one year, your risk of heart disease, heart attack and stroke has dropped in half.
Every minute that you don’t smoke improves your overall health, and the perks to quitting are enormous. Food will taste better, you’ll get sick less often and physical activities will become much easier. Quitting smoking isn’t easy, but you can look forward to many real benefits.
- Check out our tips to help you end your smoking addiction.
- Looking for resources to help you quit? Start here.
UK Albert B. Chandler Hospital - Pavilion H800 Rose St.
Lexington, KY 40536