Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation (PM&R) physicians, also known as physiatrists, treat a wide variety of medical conditions affecting the brain, spinal cord, nerves, bones, joints, ligaments, muscles and tendons. Physiatrists are also called physical medicine and rehabilitation doctors.
The musculoskeletal specialists at UK HealthCare Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation (PM&R) provide non-surgical care for adults and adolescents who have common musculoskeletal complaints resulting from injury to the muscles, bones, ligaments, tendons and nerves. We offer nonsurgical treatment, provide therapies, medicines and other procedures that can delay, reduce or eliminate the need for surgery.
MSK physicians specialize in the treatment of cervical, thoracic, lumbar and sacral spinal conditions; sports-related injuries; joint pain or injuries; peripheral nerve entrapment; repetitive use or overuse disorders; sprains, strains, tendonitis and other soft-tissue injuries.
Common conditions we treat
- ACL injury and rehabilitation
- Adhesive capsulitis
- Ankle sprain
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Cervical radiculopathy
- Cervical stenosis
- Cervical whiplash
- Core strengthening
- de Quervain Tenosynovitis
- Downed runner
- Elbow pain in Little League pitchers
- Epicondylosis with and without nerve entrapment
- Iliotibial band syndrome
- Impingement syndromes of the shoulder
- Inflammatory arthritides
- Knee osteoarthritis
- Lumbar disk disorders
- Lumbar radiculopathy
- Lumbar spondylolisthesis
- Lumbar stenosis
- Medial and lateral collateral ligament injuries
- Osteoporosis in rehabilitation
- Patellofemoral syndrome
- Plantar fasciitis
- Pregnant athlete
- Proximal and mid-hamstring strain/tendon tear
- Pulmonary issues in the athlete/exercise-induced asthma
- Shoulder tendon and muscle injuries
- Sports concussion
- Vertebral compression fractures
Assessments and procedures we perform
- Diagnostic ultrasound
- Electrodiagnostic studies
- Osteopathic manipulation of extremities and spine using direct and indirect techniques
- Peripheral nerve blocks and hydrodissection (using a directed jet of water to surgically separate tissues, which generally causes less trauma than dissection using a cutting instrument)
- Percutaneous peripheral nerve stimulation
- Regenerative medicine (PRP)
- Rehabilitation therapies
- Ultrasound-guided peripheral joint injections, soft tissue injections (ligaments, tendons, muscle, fascia, bursa)
Why choose the PM&R musculoskeletal specialists at UK HealthCare?
Our musculoskeletal specialists work closely with you and your family to provide a full array of holistic care to help you manage injuries or conditions related to bone, joint and muscle pain that do not require surgery.
We can help at the onset of an injury or condition by facilitating initial workup and overseeing and managing appropriate treatment. This treatment may include non-opioid medication management and referral to physical and occupational therapists specially trained to understand your musculoskeletal needs.
If surgery is required, either now or in the future, we work closely with orthopaedic surgeons, neurosurgeons and interventional pain colleagues to ensure high-quality, cohesive care.