Palliative care is specialized medical care that is focused on providing patients with relief from the symptoms, pain and stress of a serious illness – no matter the diagnosis.
The goal of palliative care is to improve quality of life for both the patient and their family. Palliative care is provided by a team of doctors, nurses and other specialists who work with a patient’s medical team to provide extra support for the patient and their family. Palliative care is appropriate for any age, as well as during any stage in a serious illness, and it can be provided together with curative treatment.
For pediatric care see Pediatric Advanced Care Team (PACT) »
Our goals include:
- Assisting families in making decisions and establishing goals of care.
- Relieving pain and other symptoms.
- Promoting communication with families.
- Facilitating continuity during multiple admissions.
- Providing emotional, social, spiritual and bereavement services.
- Improving end-of-life care in the hospital or at home.
- Assistance with completion of advance directives.
- Good communication with the family and their healthcare team.
- Recommendations for pain and symptom management.
- Assistance for families making difficult decisions.
- Support during transition from the hospital to home, including hospice and outpatient palliative care.
As we walk the healthcare journey with a patient, our main priority is to empower the patient and their family to be able to make the best medical care decisions possible.
When the patient, family or healthcare team requests a consult, our team will meet with the family and the healthcare providers. We ask the family members about their goals and wishes and also about their worries and concerns. At all times, we keep in mind the patient’s quality of life with a strong focus on the management of any pain or other symptoms they may be experiencing.
We then determine how our services can help the patient and their family meet their goals, and we make recommendations to the healthcare team.
UK Albert B. Chandler Hospital - Pavilion A1000 S. Limestone
Lexington, KY 40536
If a palliative care consult is needed, please notify a member of your primary care team.
UK Good Samaritan Hospital310 S. Limestone
Lexington, KY 40508
Bluegrass Care Navigators2312 Alexandria Drive
Lexington, KY 40508