Making a Difference archives
A news magazine featuring the people of UK HealthCare
(PDF, 4.9 MB)
- Solving the puzzle: 6-month-old seems healthy one day, critical the next.
- Dr. Tom McLarney felt a pop in his chest. "No way I'm having a heart attack."
- Spinal cord stimulation puts UK geologist back on his feet.
(PDF, 2.04 MB)
- Crippling Back Pain: Complex spine surgery helps a Richmond man back to his feet.
- Novel therapy changes the storyline for one gyn oncology patient.
- UK employee finds congenital heart disease needs lifelong care.
- UK is one of 100 great hospitals in America.
(PDF, 2.04 MB)
- A Small Miracle: Team effort helped UK nurses and their high-risk baby beat the odds.
- Surviving Organ Failure, Transplant & Cancer: Surviving end-stage organ failure, a liver transplant and cancer takes an extraordinary team.
- Heart disease built a relationship: When Reuben’s heart needed to be with a transplanted one, he trusted UK with the surgery.
- UK HealthCare Achieves Nursing’s Highest Honor: UK HealthCare received Magnet status.
(PDF, 1.99 MB)
- Surviving & Thriving:Teen and her family are grateful they could find highly specialized care locally.
- When the Doctor Becomes the Patient: Hyden physician lives to tell about the benefits of networked care.
- Pro Golfer Finds Help for Parkinson’s: Indiana golfer rallies his own resources and those of friends to fight back.
- UK HealthCare at Turfland. New facility offers convenience for UK Family & Community Medicine patients and others.
(PDF, 1.78 MB)
- More Options Than You Think: Today’s cancer treatment offers options that even surprise a nurse.
- Minutes from a Devastating Stroke: Doctors retrieve a clot from a young woman’s brain just in time.
- Better Than Expected. Heroic effort is made to save a young girl’s leg.
- UK HealthCare at Turfland. New, larger primary care clinic to open on Harrodsburg Road.
(PDF, 1.28 MB)
- Specialty Team Attacks Cancer: Rare, aggressive bone cancer requires quick, aggressive treatment.
- Twenty-six Week Run: Pediatric critical care transport, advanced life support save premature twins.
- 'The Widow Maker': When minutes count, heart outreach is the difference.
- New Retail Pharmacy: Chandler hospital to offer convenient bedside service.
(PDF, 1.01 MB)
- Sudden Impact: When every moment counted.
- 'I've got a life now, and I'm going to live it!' Grandmother finds relief from congestive heart failure.
- Slow Your Thinking. A tongue cancer patient shares his story.
- We Are Thankful. Donating the gift of life.
(PDF, 1.24 MB)
- 'Adopt-a-Milton' sends hope, love to injured UK colleague.
- Child's puzzling paralysis diagnosed and cured by UK doctors.
- Kidney Transplant: the perfect birthday gift.
- Highlights of new hospital pavilion showcased.
(PDF, 1.38 MB)
- Everything comes together to save a teen's life.
- Timely diagnosis saves baby from disease damage.
- SBRT treatment brings hope to lung cancer patient.
- New Chandler Emergency Department opens July 14.
(PDF, 1 MB)
- A New Heart for a New Mom: A young mom inspires extraordinary acts of caring.
- An Anniversary to Remember: Frankfort couple finds Chandler Emergency to be a welcome surprise.
- Life Without Seizures: Brain surgery gives woman a life she only dreamed of.
- Cooking for Special Diets: Recipes for those with heart disease, hypertension and diabetes.
- Back on His Feet: A father goes from paralyzed to healthy thanks to UK HealthCare's expertise.
- Fighting Heart Failure: A heart failure patient beats the odds and thrives.
- Speaking of Surgery: Delicate microvascular surgery saves an alum's ability to speak.
- Faces Behind the Voices: UK HealthCare employees share their stories in recorded messages now heard by callers placed on hold.
(PDF, 1.3 MB)
- Returning a Boy's Smile: Pediatric dentists save a young man's teeth.
- Looking After the Family: Two UK nurses rallied co-workers and took care of a co-worker's family as if it were their own.
- Hip Replacement: A new type of hip replacement combined with unique expertise enables a London police officer to return to the force.
(PDF, 1.22 MB)
- Transplanted Friendship: Amelia Brown was in the prime of her life, but her liver was mysteriously failing - until UK HealthCare solved the mystery.
- ALS Can't Silence Her: Mary Lou Smith talks about how Dr. Edward Kasarskis and his team put her at ease.
- The Markey Cancer Center: Myeloma patient Kelly Colson's experience at this warm and welcoming place of healing.
- Cystic Fibrosis: An Adult Disease Now: Learn how UK HealthCare's staff has helped Anne McMahan surpass the average life expectancy for a person living with cystic fibrosis.