If you are a full-time UK student, you have access to unlimited, free medical visits at the campus medical clinic, University Health Service (UHS), through your tuition and mandatory fees.
Unlimited office visits for:
- Injury or illness
- Allergy injections
- Well‐patient physical exams
- Women’s care (gynecology)
- Observation room care
- Behavioral Health office visits
Health education and wellness services:
- Nutrition counseling
- Tobacco treatment counseling
- Sexual health education session
Why should you choose UHS?
- Least expensive option for medical care
- Same-day or next-day appointments
- UHS clinicians understand the unique health needs of students and can coordinate with the other campus resources
UK SHP is customized to work well with the services provided at UHS. This health plan is intended for medical care beyond your health fee in relation to a specific injury or illness, including diagnostic testing, hospitalization, and prescription benefits.
Students eligible for UK SHP are divided into enrollment types:
- Funded Graduate Students are automatically enrolled in UK SHP. Each fall and spring semester you must be: A) Degree-seeking, B) Enrolled in the Graduate School (professional programs do not qualify), and C) Fully-funded by the University with a full-time research, teaching, or graduate assistantship or qualifying fellowship. Eligibility is determined by the UK SHP Office. Changes in your status may affect your eligibility.
- International Students are required to have medical coverage and are automatically enrolled in the plan. The cost of the plan is charged to your tuition bill. To complete the enrollment process, simply pay your student bill.
- Other UK students and dependents (spouse/children) of insured students are eligible to purchase UK SHP. See eligibility guidelines and enroll at uky.myahpcare.com.
Understanding UK SHP
- This health plan is a Preferred Provider Organization (PPO). The health care providers you choose will affect your out-of-pocket expenses. Remember: using UK providers will save you money. See the policy online for details.
- Participating in this student health plan does not mean all of your health care is free. There are medical expenses you are responsible to pay, including an annual deductible, copay or coinsurance charges, and costs related to services limited or excluded by the plan.
- It is your responsibility to familiarize yourself with this plan. The best way to make this coverage (or any health plan) work for you is to be informed and proactive. If possible, check the covered benefits before you receive medical care. Read the policy online and contact the SHP Office with your questions.