Your browser is not supported. Please upgrade to a modern browser in order to use all the features of the UKHC web application: Firefox | Chrome | Microsoft Edge
Skip to main content
close menu
close menu

Search UK HealthCare

Health Fee & Health Coverage

Note: Those who are not sure they are eligible for UHS services should go to the section covering BCTC students' eligibility.

The Health Fee is one of the mandatory fees assessed to full-time undergraduate and graduate students during the fall and spring semesters. The health fee cannot be waived, even if a student has his or her own health insurance.

It's crucial to know the difference between the Health Fee and health insurance; a customized health insurance plan is available for UK students.

The Health Fee covers a variety of services for free (or at low cost) to students.

  • Eligibility for UHS Services

    All students at the University of Kentucky are eligible to use the University Health Service for their health care. All University of Kentucky full-time students pay a mandatory Health Fee as part of tuition which entitles them to most services at University Health Service at minimal cost.

    NOTE: If you are a new student, you are not eligible to be seen at UHS until the semester begins.

    Part-time students may elect to pre-pay the Health Fee to entitle them to receive the same covered benefits as full-time students or they may use the University Health Service on a fee-for-service basis. Part-time UK students may pay the fee at the Student Billing Office in the Funkhouser Building.

    Graduate students who are not registered in classes but are actively engaged in research leading to a degree are eligible to use the University Health Service and can pay the Health Fee. These students may be asked to obtain verification of their status from their department chairperson, dean or academic advisor each semester.

    Students who have graduated and have a record on file are eligible to be seen in that clinic at UHS on a fee-for-service basis for one semester following graduation. (e.g. - students who graduate in May may be seen during the following summer months; students who graduate in August may be seen during the following fall semester; students who graduate in December may be seen during the following spring semester.) During this period, former students should arrange to have their medical records transferred to their new physician.

    Continuing students (students who are not currently enrolled but were enrolled the entire previous semester and intend to enroll the following semester) are eligible to be seen on a fee-for-service basis

    Spouses of all eligible students who are not students themselves may be seen at University Health Service for all services on a fee-for-service basis except behavioral health visits. They must present their spouse's student ID to receive treatment. Children and other family members are not eligible. For children,you may wish to make an appointment with UK Pediatrics at 859-323-5481 or UK Family Practice at 859-323-6711.

    J-Scholars and ESL students who have purchased the student insurance plan are eligible to be seen on a fee-for-service basis

  • BCTC Students

    Bluegrass Community and Technical College students enrolled at Bluegrass Community and Technical College at the Cooper, Regency or Winchester campuses may receive services through University Health Service under these guidelines:

    • Participating and eligible campuses include: Cooper, Winchester, and Regency only.
    • Any BCTC student attending any of these campuses can be seen on a fee-for-service basis (charges range depending on the visit type).
    • Any BCTC student who is enrolled in at least six hours of traditional in-classroom hours may purchase the Health Fee for that semester, which would cover the cost of unlimited visits at UHS.
    • BCTC students who are interested in purchasing the health fee may do so online at the E-Store.
    • Students who are enrolled strictly in correspondence courses are ineligible to purchase the Health Fee and cannot be seen at UHS.
    • BCTC students must present a current BCTC ID at time of visit.
  • Summer Session

    University Health Service is available for health care during the summer. Paying the Health Fee is voluntary for most students in the summer. To use University Health Service, registered students must pay the summer Health Fee or pay for services on a fee-for service basis. 

  • Change of Status

    If a full-time student withdraws from school, the Health Fee may be refunded by the Registrar's Office as part of the pro-rated tuition refund. Such individuals are eligible to use University Health Service on a fee-for-service basis until the end of the semester. Any questions regarding this matter should be directed to the UHS billing office at 859-218-3203.

    If a student changes status from part-time to full-time, the Health Fee will be added to the tuition if it has not already been purchased.

    If a student changes from full-time to part-time, the Health Fee will be refunded by the Registrar's Office as part of the pro-rated tuition refund. Students who wish to retain Health Fee covered services should call the UHS billing office (859-218-3203) for instructions. 

  • Fee-for-service Visits

    Fee-for-service visits start at $81 and go up, depending on the reason for your visit. Additional charges will be incurred if lab tests, X-rays, immunizations or special procedures are necessary. 

  • Health Fee vs. Health Insurance

    The Health Fee is a mandatory fee on your tuition bill that covers a variety of services for free (or at low cost) at University Health Service. 

    The Health Fee is not a health plan and it is not meant to replace health coverage.

    Consider your health care in two parts:

    1. All University of Kentucky full-time students pay the mandatory Health Fee that entitles them to most services at University Health Service for free.
    2. Health coverage is strongly recommended for expenses not covered by the Health Fee, including most diagnostic procedures (laboratory tests, X-rays, MRIs), surgery, hospitalization and prescription medication. Students may use the health plan of their choice.  The UK Student Health Plan (SHP) is a health insurance plan customized to meet the year-round needs of UK students. 

    You can find a list of basic health coverage terminology here.

    Benefit Verification

    For CESL students who do not want to purchase the Student Health Plan, and would like to apply to waive the Student Health Plan, the Benefit Verification Request Form is available below.


    This form shows UK that your outside health plan meets UK’s minimum requirements for health coverage. This form must be completed by your sponsoring agent, or current health plan provider, and sent to email before the deadline. Once we receive the form, we will then approve or deny your waiver based on your eligibility. 

    Waiver Appeal

    Certain situations do not meet the standard waiver criteria for International students.  When a student meets one of these exceptional criteria, they may apply for a waiver exception. The UK Student Health Plan Waiver Appeals Document is available below.

    This form shows UK that your situation meets one of the specific criteria as outlined on the first page of the Appeals document.  The correct form(s) must be completed and emailed to before the specified deadlines. Once we receive the form, we will approve or deny your waiver based on your eligibility. 

    Please note the specific documentation required for your specific requesting condition. Submitting the incorrect documents for your situation could result in a significant delay in your application being processed or denial of the waiver.

    • UK Student Health Plan

      While the Health Fee entitles students to most services at UHS at no cost, UK offers the Student Health Plan (SHP) as a health insurance plan customized to meet the year-round needs of UK students.

      SHP includes coverage for services not included in the Health Fee, such as lab tests, x-rays, MRIs, surgery, emergency care, and medication

      The University of Kentucky is contracted with Academic HealthPlans, Inc. in conjunction with Anthem to provide the school-sponsored student health plan for the 2017-18 school year. Additional details are available on the UK Student Health Plan (SHP) website.

      On the SHP website you can:

      • View the complete Certificate Brochure with coverage details.
      • Review the frequently asked questions.
      • Enroll in/purchase the plan.

      Remember, purchasing a health plan is never a guarantee you will avoid out-of-pocket costs for medical care. The best way to make this, or any, coverage work for you is to be informed and proactive. Check the covered benefits before your procedure whenever possible. Know the specifics and communicate with your medical provider.

      For Help

      Contact Academic HealthPlans (AHP) at 855-856-2385.

      If you have questions not addressed by the SHP website or AHP’s customer service department, the UK SHP Office is available to assist you. Call 859-218-3208 or email for an appointment.

    • About Parents' Insurance Covering You

      To learn how your parent’s plan can provide the medical care you may need beyond the services covered by your Health Fee, contact your insurance company's customer service department by calling the phone number on the back of your ID card.

      You should know:

      • Does your plan include coverage for non-emergent medical care in the Lexington area?
      • Which hospitals and urgent care centers are in-network in the Lexington area?
      • How much is your deductible in the Lexington area?
      • What co-pays or coinsurance payments are you responsible for in the Lexington area?
      • Which pharmacies are available to you in the Lexington area?
      • Does your plan have a referral requirement?
      • Does your plan require you to be seen only by a designated Primary Care Physician?
    • Billing Policies

      UHS can bill only the UK Student Health Plan (SHP) or UK HMO dependents for services not covered by the Health Fee; it does not have the ability to bill private insurance companies. Ask your insurance company for details on filing claims. 

      Responsibilities of the student who incurs charges at the Health Service are as follows:

      • Payment in full is expected on the day of service. Cash, check, MasterCard, VISA or the UK Plus Card are accepted forms of payment. If it is impossible for payment to be made on that date, payment in full is expected within 30 days.
      • Students who do not pay their bills within 60 days will be considered financially delinquent and will be subject to the University's delinquency policy, which states that all outstanding bills owed to any unit of the University must be paid before a student can register, drop or add classes, graduate or obtain a transcript.
      • Students who have questions about bills received from the Health Service should call the Health Service Billing Department for assistance at 859-218-3204.
      • Insurance claims to other private carriers, other than the University-sponsored student insurance plan, cannot be filed by the Health Service. Students may request a statement of charges at the time of service. This statement contains all necessary information for filing insurance with private carriers.
      • UHS is a participating provider for the Student Health Insurance Plan only. Services at UHS may not be covered by other insurance plans, in which case students are responsible for any balance on their account.