Fit testing provides a means to determine which respirator (N-95 mask) model and size fits the wearer best, and to confirm that the wearer can put on the respirator properly to achieve a good fit.
Periodic fit testing for respirators used in TB environments can serve as an effective training tool, in conjunction with the content included in employee training and retraining.
The frequency of periodic fit testing should be supplemented by the occurrence of any of the following:
Respirator fit questionnaire (PDF, 270 KB)
- Risk for transmission of M. tuberculosis.
- A change in the facial features of the wearer.
- Development of medical condition that would affect respiratory function.
- Change in physical characteristics of respirator.
- Change in model or size of the assigned respirator.