New UK HealthCare Website
New for 2018: Website content management system & hosting upgrade
The website at ukhealthcare.uky.edu is UK HealthCare’s primary digital communication and engagement channel that allows patients, potential patients and referring providers to access the services offered by our rapidly expanding clinical enterprise.
Over the past year, the site has experienced impressive growth:
- In FY16, the site generated 14,274 appointment requests, compared to 8,210 in FY15 (up 74%)
- Annual site visits increased to 1,105,845 in FY16, compared to 874,854 visits in FY15 (up 26%)
- Annual user sessions (user interactions with our site within a given timeframe) increased to 1,857,504 in FY16, compared to 1,494,108 sessions in FY15 (up 24%).
- Mobile visits to the site to date for FY17 have reached 47 percent, compared to 44 percent in FY16 and 40 percent in FY15 (up 18%).
Over the course of several months in 2017, Marketing Web Services, IT Web Collaboration Services and UK’s web manager in PR & Marketing worked together to transition UK HealthCare’s website into a Drupal 8 content management system and cloud-based hosting.
The project was completed by November 2017 and new site launched on Nov. 17.
Why we needed to upgrade the site
- The site was hosted on internal UK HealthCare servers and managed through a content management system called Ektron.net.
- Ektron has not kept pace with the technological demands required by modern websites and had declared its content management system at end of life with no further development anticipated.
- Maintaining routine site operations and accomplishing basic user transactions had become increasingly constrained and difficult, requiring considerable attention and resources from both Marketing and IT for both server and CMS administration.
We are seeing some benefits of new system
- Cleaner integration with UK health college sites (UK PR & Marketing plans to move toward Drupal 8 and Acquia for all academic sites; UK HealthCare is leading the way).
- More nimble content delivery and transactions
- Improved information architecture and navigation
- Clearer user pathways to get site visitors where they want to go
What has changed?
- Mostly behind-the-scenes technical enhancements
- Some improvement to navigation
- Some updates to improve search engine optimization (SEO)
- A modern, extensible platform for future development and growth
UK HealthCare requires a website that reflects our commitment to advanced medicine. In addition to vastly improved backend functionality, this project has given us a site that drives engagement and delivers real-time information and communication with patients, providers and consumers in the ways they find most convenient.
In 2018, more enhancements are planned to leverage this more powerful system. If you would like to be given access to edit the site, contact Lee Cundiff, Web Services manager, at email@example.com.