There are several ways to access the STAR Program’s online portal:
- Go directly to the STAR website.
- From the For Staff page of the UK HealthCare website, click the link to the STAR Program.
- On CareWeb, look for the orange STAR Program tab on the left side, seven spaces from the top.
- Download a free app for your Apple or Android mobile device. (attach the How to guide- How to download the app)
- Open the STAR Program from an Outlook email.
To learn more about the different ways you can log into the STAR Program, check out the step-by-step quick guides below.
- UK HealthCare
- College of Medicine
- Eastern State Hospital
- Kentucky Clinical Management System
- Graduate Medical Education
Employees who fall outside of these categories – including STEPS, contractors and campus employees – can still be recognized outside of the system. Contact Chelsea Smitson for more details.
E-cards are quick, fun, on-the-spot ways to express appreciation every day. When your first inclination is to say, “Thanks,” “Nice job” or “Way to go,” send someone an e-card.
E-card tools, quick tips and guides:
Sometimes “Thank you” just isn’t enough. When you see someone providing outstanding service and living the DIReCT values, nominate them for an award. Using the nomination wizard, you will be prompted through the process of describing your nominee’s achievement and evaluating its impact. Our awards come in three different levels – gold, silver and bronze – and each represents a step up in terms of scope, effort and impact so that the honoree receives the right sized recognition for the recognition event.
Each award has a point value associated with it: The higher the award, the higher the point value. Each award has an approval path based on the level of points. Approving managers help to ensure that the recognition is appropriate and matches the level of the award given. Recognition, when it’s done right, can impact engagement, communication and an employee’s self-value. Poor recognition, however, or recognition for the wrong reasons can be harmful.
Name Award level Who can give (nominator) 1st level of approval 2nd level of approval Presenter eCards 0 All employees N/A Bronze 250 points All employees Nominee's manager N/A Nominator Silver 500 points All employees Nominee's manager N/A Nominator Gold 1000 points All employees Nominee's manager Recognition coordinator Nominator
Understanding award levels
UK HealthCare’s organizational values – diversity, innovation, respect, compassion and teamwork – are the principles that guide all decisions and actions, ensuring we are achieving our mission and vision every day. By recognizing one another for hard work and achievements in one or more of the values, the STAR Program reinforces and perpetuates the positive behaviors that ensure a healthy work culture and exceptional patient care.
We foster a people-centered environment inclusive of all. We will always:
Respect differences of opinions
Acknowledge the expertise of everyone
Promote cultural sensitivity and social awareness
Recognize unconscious biases and overcoming barriers
We embrace continual learning and improvement to drive positive change. We will always:
- Be visionary with a passion for discovery
- Continuously improve quality, safety and service
- Commit to always being safe and error free
- Achieve optimal outcomes with our expertise, research and resources
We value our patients and families, our community, our co-workers, ourselves, and the resources entrusted to us. We will always:
- Foster a people-centered environment
- Demonstrate professional behavior and ethics
- Practice stewardship in resource management
- Commit to honesty, transparency, dependability, confidentiality and trust
We express empathy for the needs, thoughts and feelings of those we serve and with whom we work. We will always:
- Display kindness to everyone
- Do our best to relieve suffering
- Promote healing and well-being
- Embrace patient- and family-centered care
- Encourage a welcoming and caring environment
We cultivate meaningful relationships to create positive outcomes. We will always:
- Share information to optimize value
- Be accountable for our actions
- Embrace interprofessionalism during care delivery
- Include and empower all members of the team
Learn more about the values on the LIVING DIReCT SharePoint site.
The STAR program also supports some of the Campus Approved awards found in healthcare. These awards have followed the policy and procedures for establishing employee award programs found in the Business Procedures Manual, Section E-7-12 Employee Awards (PDF, 86 KB).
For a full list of campus approved awards including the healthcare approved awards please see this page from Financial Services: Accounts Payable Services - Student/Employee Awards, then select Approved Employee Awards at the bottom of the screen. If you are interested in having the STAR Program support an award you sponsor, please reach out the Employee Recognition Coordinator or Employee Engagement Manager to discuss the process.
- How to login to the STAR Program-SSO (PDF, 542 KB) »
- Downloading the Great Work App (PDF, 159 KB) »
- Quick Tips for STAR Users (PDF, 458 KB) »
- eCards (What are they) (PDF, 214 KB) »
- eCards (Best Practices) (PDF, 214 KB) »
- Sending a bulk eCard »
How to complete a nomination (PDF, 673 KB) »
Creating an Effective Story (PDF, 58 KB) »
Approval Path for Nominations (PDF, 192 KB) »
- Nomination Wizard- understanding how STAR Award Levels are Determined (PDF, 677 KB) »
- Award Nominations (PDF, 327 KB) »
- Award Criteria (PDF, 433 KB) »
- Examples of Bronze, Silver, Gold (PDF, 129 KB) »
- Presentation Tips (PDF, 539 KB) »
- Appreciation-best-practices (PDF, 425 KB) »
Quick tips for approving managers »
Pulling reports »
Tips to consider when reviewing an award »
How are you doing (Manager’s pulse check on recognition) »
How do I like to be recognized (Questionnaire to understand how your staff like to be recognized) »
Obtaining thank you notes »
The Right Language (Activity to learn how to write a strong thank you) »
Account Proxy »
- Spotlight on Engagement (PDF, 98 KB) »
- Appreciation Changes Everything (PDF, 95 KB) »
- Best Practices for Recognizing Employees (PDF, 863 KB) »
- Influencing Greatness: Giving, Receiving, and Observing (PDF, 7 MB) »
- Making Recognition Programs Successful (PDF, 834 KB) »
- The Effect of Performance Recognition on Employee Engagement (PDF, 592 KB) »
- Business Case for Recognition (PDF, 12 MB) »
- Employee Recognition: Is It Better to Give than to Receive? (PDF, 476 KB) »
- UKHC CaseStudy (PDF, 1.2 MB) »