Instructions for Collecting 24 Hour Urine Specimen
- Start saving urine in the morning of the day BEFORE you are to come to the clinic.
- Urinate when you first get out of bed that morning, regardless of the time. Throw this urine away. DO NOT SAVE THIS URINE!
- Look at the time and write it down to remember. This is the START TIME for the 24-hour urine collection. (START TIME :_______)
- Save all urine from then on until that same time the next morning. At the same time, empty your bladder and place the urine in the container. This will be the last urine to go into the bottle and completes the collection of the 24-hour urine specimen.
- This is the STOP TIME for the 24-hour urine collection. (STOP TIME :_______)
- The best way to collect your urine is to urinate into a paper or plastic cup and pour it into the specimen jug. Please use the jug provided or an empty distilled water jug.
- To help your remember to collect each specimen, you may want to place a note on the commode.
- REFRIGERATE. Keep jug in refrigerator or in a cooler on ice in the bathroom during collection of the specimen.
- Bring the entire jug to the clinic on the day you finish the collection.
- Be Careful
- Keep Out of Reach of Children
- Save Urine for Test