Associate Vice President for Research, Health Disparities
Marion Pearsall Professor of Behavioral Science
Cancer Prevention and Control
Colleges & Departments:
College of Medicine, Department of Behavioral Science
Dr. Schoenberg, a medical anthropologist, maintains research interests in cancer prevention and control, employing community-based participatory interventions and qualitative and complementary methodology.
Her research projects a smoking cessation intervention, several cancer screening interventions, and several energy balance studies. Many of these projects employ faith-based approaches, community-engaged orientations, and RCT designs. For example, Dr. Schoenberg’s current projects include several faith-based lay health advisor interventions to prevent cancer (lung, cervical, colorectal, and breast) and an intergenerational diet-exercise program. In addition, Dr. Schoenberg and colleagues are examining how older adults, their caregivers, and health care providers manage complex multiple morbidities. Throughout Dr. Schoenberg's work, there is an emphasis on the cultural context of health decisions and community-based participatory approaches.
- Community Strategies to Address Cancer Disparities in Appalachian Kentucky. Schoenberg N, Howell BM, Fields N. Family and Community Health 35(1):31-43, 2012.
- Deconstructing Fatalism: Ethnographic Perspectives on Women’s Decision Making about Cancer Prevention and Treatment. Drew EM, Schoenberg NE. Medical Anthropology Quarterly 25(2)2:164-182, 2011.
- Faith Moves Mountains: A community-based randomized trial of a faith-placed intervention to reduce cervical cancer burden in Appalachia. Studts T, Tarasenko Y, Schoenberg NE, Shelton B, Hatcher J, Dignan M. Preventive Medicine 54: 408-414, 2012.
- Perspectives on Breast and Cervical Cancer Screening among Appalachian Kentucky. Schoenberg NE, Bardach S, Kruger K, Howell B. Remote and Rural Health.
- Patterns of Non-Screening for Cervical and Breast Cancer among Rural Women. Schoenberg N, Studts C, Hatcher-Keller J, Buelt E, Adams E. Journal of Women and Health.