Regina Drury/Children's Miracle Network Endowed Chair in Pediatric Research
Molecular and Cellular Oncology
Colleges & Departments:
College of Medicine, Department of Pediatrics
Professor of Pediatrics
Our laboratory focuses on malignant melanoma of the skin, a cancer that kills more than 10,000 Americans every year. Melanoma incidence has increased so much over the last century such that whereas a US citizen in the 1930's had only a 1 in 1,500 chance of developing it, now almost 1 in 50 of us will be diagnosed with the disease. We are interested in the genetic and environmental factors that cause melanomas to develop so that we can design ways to reduce melanoma incidence
- Sirtuin 1-mediated deacetylation of XPA DNA repair protein enhances its interaction with ATR protein and promotes cAMP-induced DNA repair of UV damage. Jarrett, SG, KM Carter, R-M Bautista, D He, C. Wang and JA D’Orazio. J Biol Chem, 2018.
- The melanocortin signaling cAMP axis accelerates repair and reduces mutagenesis of platinum-induced DNA damage. Jarrett SG, Carter, KM, Shelton, BJ and D'Orazio JA. Scientific Reports. 2017.
- Divergence of cAMP signaling pathways mediating augmented nucleotide excision repair and pigment induction in melanocytes. Wolf Horrell EM, Jarrett SG, Carter KM, D'Orazio JA. Experimental Dermatology. 2017
- AKAP12 mediates PKA-induced phosphorylation of ATR to enhance nucleotide excision repair. Jarrett SG, Wolf Horrell EM, D'Orazio JA. Nucleic Acids Research. 2016.
- Defining the Contribution of MC1R Physiological Ligands to ATR Phosphorylation at Ser435, a Predictor of DNA Repair in Melanocytes. Jarrett SG, Wolf Horrell EM, Boulanger MC, D'Orazio JA. The Journal of Investigative Dermatology. 2015.
- PKA-mediated phosphorylation of ATR promotes recruitment of XPA to UV-induced DNA damage. Jarrett SG, Wolf Horrell EM, Christian PA, Vanover JC, Boulanger MC, Zou Y, D'Orazio JA. Molecular Cell. 2014.
MD, University of Miami
PhD, Microbiology and Immunology, University of Miami
Chief Resident, Pediatrics, Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH), Boston
Pediatrics, Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH), Boston
Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, Boston Children's Hospital and the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute (DFCI)
Certifications and Special Training
American Board of Pediatrics, Pediatric Hematology/Oncology