Cancer Prevention and Control
Colleges & Departments:
College of Medicine, Department of Behavioral Science
Associate Professor of Behavioral Science
William Stamps Farish Endowed Chair in Cancer Research
Dr. Hull is a medical sociologist with expertise in the development, dissemination and implementation of behavioral and health service interventions to promote cancer prevention behaviors in youth. Her research focuses on HPV vaccination, healthy eating, and physical activity, using implementation science and new technology applications. She has over 15 years of experience as an investigator conducting community-engaged research, and much of her work addresses health disparities among African American, Hispanic, and low-income populations, in collaboration with community partners. She currently leads a National Cancer Institute (NCI)-funded R01 implementation science study aiming to compare the clinical effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of two strategies for delivering a multi-level, multi-component intervention with community-based pediatric primary care practices to increase HPV vaccination among adolescents. She also leads the USDA-funded Children Eating Well (CHEW) grant, which focuses on early childhood obesity prevention through dissemination and implementation of a mobile phone application within a federal public health nutrition program, in partnership with the Tennessee Department of Health.
- Providers’ perceptions of parental HPV vaccine hesitancy: A cross-sectional study. Cunningham-Erves J, Koyama T, Huang Y, Jones J, Wilkins CH, Harnack L, McAfee C, Hull PC. JMIR Cancer. 2019. 5(2):e13832.
- A review of smartphone applications for low-income participants in a public health program for women infants and children (WIC). Weber SJ, Dawson D, Greene H, Hull PC. JMIR mHealth uHealth. 2018; 6(11):e12261.
- Childhood obesity prevention trial for Hispanic families: Outcomes of the Healthy Families Study. Hull PC, Buchowski M, Canedo JR, Beech BM, Du L, Koyama T, Zoorob R. Ped Obes. 2018; 13(11):686-696.
- A Smartphone app for families with preschool-aged children in a public nutrition program: Prototype development and beta-testing. Hull PC, Emerson JS, Quirk ME, Canedo JR, Jones JL, Vylegzhanina V, Schmidt DC, Mulvaney SA, Beech BM, Briley C, Harris C, Husaini BA. JMIR mHealth uHealth. 2017; 5(8):e102.
- Pragmatic trial of an intervention to increase human papillomavirus vaccination in safety-net clinics. Sanderson M, Canedo JR, Khabele D, Fadden MK, Harris C, Beard K, Burress M, Pinkerton H, Jackson C, Mayo-Gamble T, Hargreaves M, Hull PC. BMC Public Health. 2017; 17(1)158.
Ph.D., Sociology, Vanderbilt University
B.A., Duke University