Molecular and Cellular Oncology
Colleges & Departments:
College of Medicine, Department of Toxicology and Cancer Biology
- Epidemiology and molecular etiology of lung cancer
- Research administration
- Technology transfer and entrepreneurship
- Science pedagogy and career development
For more information on Dr. Vanderford's background, please visit his personal website.
Ben F. Roach Cancer Care Facility
800 Rose Street, CC140
Lexington, KY 40536
- Cancer Curriculum for Appalachian Kentucky Middle and High Schools. Hudson L, Sharp K, Alameh S, Prichard C, Ickes MJ and Vanderford NL. Journal of Appalachian Health. 3(1): 43-55, 2021.
- Evidence for Cancer Literacy Knowledge Retention Among Kentucky Middle and High School Students After a Brief Educational Intervention. Hudson L, Prichard C, Weiss LT, and Vanderford NL. Southern Medical Journal. 113(11): 541-548, 2020.
- Career Planning Courses Increase Career Readiness of Graduate and Postdoctoral Trainees. Layton RL, Solberg VSH, Jahangir AE, Hall JD, Ponder CA, Micoli KA and Vanderford NL. F1000Research. 9: 1230, 2020.
- Communication of Professional Readiness in Dietetics and Human Nutrition Undergraduates: A Pilot Study. Norman-Burgdolf HL, DeWitt E, Vanderford NL and Plasencia J. North American Colleges and Teachers of Agriculture. 64: 58-65, 2020.
- The Cancer Crisis in Appalachia: Kentucky Students Take ACTION. Vanderford NL, Hudson L and Prichard C (Editors). Lexington, KY: University Press of Kentucky, 2020 (April 7). Print ISBN: 9781950690039.
- The Transformative Power of Teaching and Learning. Vanderford NL. Academic Medicine. 95(1): 144, 2020
- Mental Health in the Academy: An Invisible Crisis. Evans TM, Bira L, and Vanderford NL. Physiology News. 115: 32-35, 2019
- Reply to “A Lack of Evidence for Six Times More Anxiety and Depression in US Graduate Students than in the General Population.” Evans TM, Bira L, and Vanderford NL. Nature Biotechnology. 37(7): 712-713, 2019.
- Celebrating 50 Years of Research Administration Scholarship. Vanderford NL, Taylor J and Zink HR. Journal of Research Administration. 50(1): 7-10, 2019.
- Leadership with a Focus on Wellness. Evans TM and Vanderford NL. ASBMB Today. 18(1): 31-33, 2019.
- Epidemiology and Implementation of Cancer Prevention in Disparate Populations and Settings. Lopez AM, Hudson L, Vanderford NL, Vanderpool R, Griggs J, and Schonberg M. ASCO Educational Book. 39: 50-60, 2019.
- Community-Academic Partnerships: Approaches to Engagement. Noel L, Phillips F, Tossas-Milligan K, Spear K, Vanderford NL, Winn RA, Vanderpool RC, and Eckhardt SG. ASCO Educational Book. 39: 88-95, 2019.
- Spatiotemporal Analysis of Lung Cancer Histological Types in Kentucky, 1995-2014. Christian WJ, Vanderford NL, McDowell J, Huang B, Durbin EB, Absher KJ, Walker CJ and Arnold SM. Cancer Control. 26(1): 1-8, 2019.
- Characterization of Squamous Cell Lung Cancers from Appalachian Kentucky. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers and Prevention. Liu J, Murali T, Yu T, Liu C, Sivakumaran TA, Moseley HNB, Zhulin IB, Weiss HL, Durbin EB, Ellingson SR, Liu J, Huang B, Hallahan BJ, Horbinski CM, Hodges K, Napier DL, Bocklage T, Mueller J, Vanderford NL, Fardo DW, Wang C and Arnold SM. 28(2): 348-356, 2019.
- Use and Effectiveness of the Individual Development Plan Among Postdoctoral Researchers: Findings from a Cross-sectional Study. Vanderford NL, Evans TM, Weiss LT, Bira L and Gastelum GB. F1000Research. 7: 1132, 2018.
- A Cross-sectional Study of the Use and Effectiveness of the Individual Development Plan Among Doctoral Students. Vanderford NL, Evans TM, Weiss LT, Bira L and Gastelum GB. F1000Research. 7: 722, 2018.
- Assessing Research Collaborations Through Co-Authorship Network Analysis. Fagan J, Eddens KS, Dolly J, Vanderford NL, Weiss H and Levens JS. Journal of Research Administration. 49(1): 76-99, 2018.
- Research Administrators Should Contribute to Improving Faculty Hiring Practices. Vanderford NL. Journal of Research Administration. 49(1): 100-101, 2018.
- Optimizing the Utility of the Individual Development Plan for Trainees in the Biosciences. Tsai JW, Vanderford NL and Muindi F. Nature Biotechnology. 36(6): 552-553. 2018.
- A Social Ecological Review of Cancer Disparities in Kentucky. Rodriguez S, Vanderford NL, Huang B and Vanderpool R. Southern Medical Journal. 111(4): 213-210, 2018.
- From Bench to Business: Disparities in the U.S. Technology Transfer Ecosystem. Weis JW, Bashyam A, Ekchian GJ, Paisner K, and Vanderford NL. F1000Research. 7:329, 2018.
- Evidence for a Mental Health Crisis in Graduate Education. Nature Biotechnology. Evans TM, Bira L, Gastelum GB, Weiss LT, and Vanderford NL. 36(3): 282-284, 2018.
- Development of Multiple Primary Cancers in Lung Cancer Patients: Appalachian Versus Non-Appalachian Populations of Kentucky. Pravosud V, Huang B, Tucker T, and Vanderford NL. Southern Medical Journal. 110(12): 775-781, 2017.
- What Faculty Hiring Committees Want. Wright CB and Vanderford NL. Nature Biotechnology. 35(9): 885-887, 2017.
- Closing Kynect and Restructuring Medicaid Threaten Kentucky’s Health and Economy. Wright CB and Vanderford NL. Journal of Health Politics, Policy and Law. 42(4): 719-737, 2017
- Plot your Course. Vanderford NL. Nature. 546(7658): 443, 2017.
- Enhancing Faculty Productivity through a Centralized Communications and Project Management Infrastructure: As Case Study at the University of Kentucky Markey Cancer Center. Russell-Simmons HN, Anthony C, Ballard M, Coffman J, Gilbreath D, Keys TL, Story D, Rogers J, Gosky D, and Vanderford NL. Journal of Research Administration. 47(2): 68-79, 2016.
- Publishing in the Journal of Research Administration: A Call to Action for all Research Administrators. Linker T and Vanderford NL. Journal of Research Administration. 47(1): 11-13, 2016.
- Alternatives within Academia. Vanderford NL. Science. 353(6297): 418, 2016.
- Startup Companies versus the Trademark Practices of Industrial Heavyweights. Thompson BL and Vanderford NL. Technology Transfer and Entrepreneurship. 3(1): 11-13, 2016.
- Preparing Future Professionals by Enhancing Workforce Readiness. Norman-Burgdolf HL and Vanderford NL. Nature Biotechnology. 34(1): 111-113, 2016.
- A Case Study of the Impediments to the Commercialization of Research at the University of Kentucky. Vanderford NL and Marcinkowski E. F1000Research. 4: 133, 2015.
- Wanted: Information. Callier V and Vanderford NL. Nature. 519(7541): 121-122, 2015.
- Enhancing Technology Transfer on University Campuses Through Trainee-led Grassroots Efforts: A Case Study of The BALSA Group and Fourth River Solutions. Austin SK, Fiore C, Goh SK, Schillebeeckx M, Vanderford NL, Maricque B. Technology Transfer and Entrepreneurship. 2(1): 31-36, 2015.
- The Traditional Training of PhDs Threatens the Technology Transfer and Entrepreneurship Pipeline While Innovative Programs Provide Unique Recovery Opportunities. Callier V, Greenbaum S, and Vanderford NL. Technology Transfer and Entrepreneurship. 2(1): 51-58, 2015.
- The Parlous State of Academia: When Politics, Prestige and Proxies Overtake Higher Education’s Teaching Mission. Callier V, Signiser RH, and Vanderford NL. Australian Universities' Review. 57(1): 13-16, 2015.
- Connecting Undergraduate Science Education with the Needs of Today’s Graduates. Callier V, Signiser RH, and Vanderford NL. F1000Research. 3: 279, 2014.
- PhD Trainees Should be Empowered to Leverage Dueling Priorities. Callier V and Vanderford NL. Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Education. 42(6): 455-456, 2014.
- Ailing Academia Needs Culture Change. Callier V and Vanderford NL. Science. 345(6199): 885, 2014.
- Mission Possible: Putting Trainees at the Center of Academia’s Mission. Callier V and Vanderford NL. Nature Biotechnology. 32(6): 593-594, 2014.
- Fixing the Broken Graduate Education Experience. Vanderford NL. Nature Biotechnology. 31(12): 1149, 2013.
- Mentors, Be Nice. Vanderford NL. Nature Biotechnology. 31(7): 659, 2013.
- A Survey of the Barriers Associated with Academic-based Cancer Research Commercialization. Vanderford NL, Weiss LT, and Weiss HL. PLOS ONE. 8(8): e72268, 2013.
- Broadening PhD Curricula. Vanderford NL. Nature Biotechnology. 30(1): 113-114, 2012.
- Broaden Undergraduate Education. Vanderford NL. Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Education. 39(4): 251-252, 2011.
- Endorsing Alternative Careers for PhDs. Vanderford NL. Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Education. 39(3): 246, 2011.
- Ease Entry into an Alternative Career Field by Obtaining a Specialized Professional Degree. Vanderford NL. Nature Biotechnology. 29(4): 368-369, 2011.
- Regulation of β-Cell-Specific and Glucose-Dependent MafA Expression. Vanderford NL. Islets. 3(1): 35-37, 2011.
- The Role of MafA in Regulating Cytokine Expression in Pancreatic Beta-cells. Vanderford NL. Journal of Biological Chemistry. 286(3): le1, 2011.
- Defining the Regulation of IL-1β- and CHOP-Mediated β-cell Apoptosis. Vanderford NL. Islets. 2(5): 334-336, 2010.
- Regulation of MafA Expression in Pancreatic β-cells in db/db Mice with Diabetes. Vanderford NL. Comment on: Matsuoka et al. (2010) Diabetes. 59(7); 1709-1720. Diabetes. 59(9): e23, 2010.
- Phosphorylation within the MafA N-Terminus Regulates C-Terminal Dimerization and DNA Binding. Guo S, Vanderford NL, and Stein R. Journal of Biological Chemistry. 285(17): 12655-12661, 2010.
- Expression and Function of Set7/9 in Pancreatic Islets. Ogihara T, Vanderford NL, Maier B, Stein R, and Mirmira RG. Islets. 1(3): 269-272, 2009.
- The Stability and Transactivation Potential of the Mammalian MafA Transcription Factor is Regulated by Serine 65 Phosphorylation. Guo S, Burnette R, Zhao L, Vanderford NL, Poitout V, Henderson E, Özcan S, Wadzinski BE, and Stein R. Journal of Biological Chemistry. 284(2): 759-765, 2009.
- Multiple Kinases Regulate mafA Expression in the Pancreatic Beta Cell Line MIN6. Vanderford NL, Cantrell JEL, Popa GJ, and Özcan S. Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics. 480(2): 138-142, 2008.
- TBP/PP2A Mitotic Complex Bookmarks Genes by Preventing Condensin Action. Xing H, Vanderford NL, and Sarge KD. Nature Cell Biology. 10(11): 1318-1323, 2008.
Glucose Regulation of Insulin Gene Expression.
Andrali SS*, Sampley ML*, Vanderford NL*, and Özcan S. Biochemical Journal. 415(1): 1-10, 2008.
- Glucose Induces MafA Expression in Pancreatic Beta Cell Lines via the Hexosamine Biosynthetic Pathway. Vanderford NL, Andrali SS, and Özcan S. Journal of Biological Chemistry. 282(3): 1577-1584, 2007.
MBA, Midway University
Postdoctoral Fellowship, Vanderbilt University
PhD, University of Kentucky
BS, University of Kentucky