Faculty RankTyler Gill Professor of Surgery
A.B., Lafayette College, Easton, PA, 1965
PhD, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO, 1970
MD, Jefferson Medical College of Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia 1977
Fitzsimons Army Medical Center, Aurora, Colo. 1977 - 1982
Letterman Army Medical Center, San Francisco. 1983 - 1985
Certifications and Special Training
American Board of Surgery
American Board of Thoracic Surgery
- Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. Ferraris VA. Bundled Payments for Surgical Care – More Questions Than Answers. 2019. 31(1):38-9.
- Commentary: Scratching the Surface of Sustainable Cardiac Surgery in Sub-Saharan Africa – A Voice That Needs to Be Heard. Ferraris VA, Pezzella AT. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg, 2019. Epub ahead of print: DOI: 10.1016/j.jtcvs.2019.01.056.
- Enhanced Exosomes and Spinal Cord Ischemia – Excitement and a Nobel Prize but More to Come. Ferraris VA. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg, 2019. 157(2):518-9
- Please add some clarity to transfusion thresholds – It makes my head spin. Ferraris VA. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg, 2 Jan 2019. DOI: 10.1016/j.jtcvs.2018.11.070.
- The Vagaries of Goal-Directed Perfusion & The Trouble with Randomized Trials. Ferraris VA. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg, 2019. 157:301-3.
- The Society of Thoracic Surgeons Practice Guideline Series – Aspirin and other anti-platelet agents during operative coronary revascularization – Executive Summary. Ferraris VA, Ferraris SP, Moliterno DJ, Camp PC, Walenga JM, Messmore HL, Jeske WP, Edwards FH, Royston D, Shahian DM, Peterson E, Bridges CR and Despotis G. Ann Thorac Surg 79:1454-61, 2005.
- Aspirin and postoperative bleeding after coronary artery surgery. Ferraris VA, Ferraris SP, Wehner P, Joseph O, Mentzer RM. Ann Surg 235:820-6, 2002.
- Aspirin usage and perioperative blood loss in patients undergoing unexpected operations. Ferraris VA and Swanson E. Surg Gynecol Obstet 156:439-42, 1982
- Perioperative blood transfusion & blood conservation in cardiac surgery: the society of thoracic surgeons and the society of cardiovascular anesthesiologists clinical practice guideline. Ferraris VA, Ferraris SP, Saha SP, Hessel EA, Haan CK, Royston D, Bridges CR, Higgins RSD, Despotis G, Brown JR, Spiess BD, Shore-Lesserson L, Stafford-Smith M, Mazer CD, Bennett-Guerrero E, Hill SE and Body S. Ann Thorac Surg 83:S27-S86, 2007.
- The impact of anti-platelet drugs on trauma outcomes. Ferraris VA, Bernard AC, Hyde B and Kearney PA. J Trauma Acute Care Surg 73:492-7, 2012.
Cancer Center Member
Platelet function and carcinogenesis.
- Cancer Cell Biology and Signaling
College & Department
- College of Medicine
- Department of Surgery
Cardiothoracic Surgery ClinicThird Floor, Room L300
Kentucky ClinicFax859-257-9813740 S. Limestone
Lexington KY 40536Monday - Friday: 8:30 am-5:00 pm
Clinic times vary per physician
After Hours contact: 859-257-1000
Insurance policies can vary widely. Please check with your doctor/clinic for specific insurance information before your visit or procedure to avoid unexpected out-of-pocket costs. See list of insurers