Stephen E. Strup is the James F. Glenn Professor and Chairman of Urology at the University of Kentucky. He is a native of Northwest Ohio and attended DePauw University, graduating Summa Cum Laude in 1984. He received his medical degree from the University of Indiana in 1988. He completed a residency in Urology in 1994 at Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia and then completed an Urologic oncology fellowship in 1996 at the National Cancer Institute in Bethesda, Maryland. He returned to Thomas Jefferson University where he was one of the early adopters of the Hand-assisted laparoscopic nephrectomy and laparoscopic radical prostatectomy techniques.
In 2003, Dr. Strup moved to the University of Kentucky in Lexington, where he was appointed the Director of Minimally invasive urologic surgery and, in 2006, residency program director. He was then named the James F. Glenn Chief of Urology in 2007. His clinical interests include Urologic Oncology, minimally invasive and robotic surgery, and living donor nephrectomy.
Faculty RankProfessor of Urology
Indiana University, School of Medicine, Indianapolis
Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia
National Institutes of Health-National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, Md.
Certifications and Special Training
American Board of Urology
Fellow of the American College of Surgeons
- Reversion of epithelial-mesenchymal transition by a novel agent DZ-50 via IGF binding protein-3 in prostate cancer cells. Cao, Z.;Koochekpour, S.;Strup, S.E.;Kyprianou, N. Oncotarget 8, 45 (2017): 78507-78519.
- Reversion of epithelial-mesenchymal transition by a novel agent DZ-50 via IGF binding protein-3 in prostate cancer cells. Cao, Z.;Koochekpour, S.;Strup, S.E.;Kyprianou, N. Oncotarget (2017)
- Association of epithelial-mesenchymal transition and nuclear cofilin with advanced urothelial cancer. Hensley, P.J.;Zetter, D.;Horbinski, C.M.;Strup, S.E.;Kyprianou, N. Human pathology 57, (2016): 68-77.
- Trends in the management of male urethral stricture disease in the veteran population. Lacy, J.M.;Cavallini, M.;Bylund, J.R.;Strup, S.E.;Preston, D.M. Urology 84, 6 (2014): 1506-9.
- Association of clinical and radiographic features with perinephric "sticky" fat. Bylund, J.R.;Qiong, H.;Crispen, P.L.;Venkatesh, R.;Strup, S.E. Journal of endourology 27, 3 (2013): 370-3.
I call *Doctor Strup and his team of doctors the A-Team. UK is so lucky to have them.
Overall I've had a good experience.
*Dr. Strup is straight forward and inspires confidence.
excellent job by the UK staff!
Excellent DoctorAre you happy with the care you received from this provider?
Please let us know by filling out a patient satisfaction survey when you get one. You can also leave an online review by clicking the button below.
UK Markey Cancer CenterWhitney-Hendrickson Building800 Rose St.
Lexington, KY 40536
A parking lot is located near the Whitney-Hendrickson Building, accessible via Hospital Drive. Get directions to Whitney-Hendrickson.
View or print a map of the UK HealthCare main campus (PDF, 228 KB)
Insurance policies can vary widely. Please check with your doctor/clinic for specific insurance information before your visit or procedure to avoid unexpected out-of-pocket costs. See list of insurers