Mohanad Al-Sabbagh was trained in the specialty of periodontology at the University at Buffalo School of Dental Medicine. He currently serves as Division Chief of Periodontology, Program Director of Post-Graduate Program in Periodontology, and Program Director of International Externship in Periodontology at the University of Kentucky College of Dentistry. He is a diplomate of the American Board of Periodontology. He has received many prestigious awards and fellowships, including the Bud and Linda Tarrson Fellowship Award from the American Academy of Periodontology, the FDI/Unilever Research Award and the American Academy of Periodontology Educator Award for outstanding teaching and mentoring in periodontology. Al-Sabbagh was the first recipient of the American Academy of Periodontology Teaching Fellowship Award. He has authored many peer-reviewed publications in peer reviewed journals in addition to countless abstracts.
Al-Sabbagh’s clinical interests include treatment of periodontal (gum) disease with laser, cosmetic plastic periodontal surgery, dental implants, soft and bone-tissue augmentation and sinus lift procedures.
Faculty RankProfessor of Dentistry
Damascus University, School of Dental Medicine, Damascus, Syria
University of Buffalo, School of Dental Medicine, Buffalo, N.Y.
UK Dental Science BuildingFourth FloorUK Chandler Hospital, Dental Wing800 Rose St.
Lexington KY 40536Monday - Friday: 8:00 am-5:00 pm
Construction at Markey Cancer Center may affect traffic. See map of affected area.
UK HealthCare - Turfland2195 Harrodsburg Road
Lexington KY 40504Monday - Friday: 8:00 am-5:00 pm
Insurance policies can vary widely. Please check with your doctor/clinic for specific insurance information before your visit or procedure to avoid unexpected out-of-pocket costs. See list of insurers
- Resolution of Implant-Induced Neurosensory Disturbance: A Procedural Failure.
Implant Dent. 2015 Dec;24(6):735-41. Bhavsar I, Khalaf M, Ferrin J, Al-Sabbagh M.
- Effect of Bisphosphonate and Age on Implant Failure as Determined by Patient-Reported Outcomes.
J Oral Implantol. 2015 Dec;41(6):e287-91. Al-Sabbagh M, Thomas MV, Bhavsar I, De Leeuw R.
- Comparison of sequential drug release in vitro and in vivo.
J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater. 2015 Jun 25. Sundararaj SC, Al-Sabbagh M, Rabek CL, Dziubla TD, Thomas MV, Puleo DA.
- Bone remodeling-associated salivary biomarker MIP-1a distinguishes periodontal disease from health.
J Periodontal Res. 2012 Jun; 47(3):389-95. PMID: 22126530. Al-Sabbagh M, Alladah A, Lin Y, Kryscio RJ, Thomas MV, Ebersole JL, Miller CS.
- Smoking and periodontal disease: discrimination of antibody responses to pathogenic and commensal oral bacteria.
Clin Exp Immunol. 2011 Apr; 164(1):118-26. PMID: 21303363. Hayman L, Steffen MJ, Stevens J, Badger E, Tempro P, Fuller B, McGuire A, Al-Sabbagh M, Thomas MV, Ebersole JL.
- Factors influencing the periodontal referral process.
J Periodontol. 2011 Sep; 82(9):1288-94. PMID: 21284554. Park CH, Thomas MV, Branscum AJ, Harrison E, Al-Sabbagh M.
- Incidence and time course of dentinal hypersensitivity after periodontal surgery.
Gen Dent. 2010 Jan-Feb; 58(1):e14-9. PMID: 20129876. Al-Sabbagh M, Beneduce C, Andreana S, Ciancio SG.
- Within-subject variability in repeated measures of salivary analytes in healthy adults.
J Periodontol. 2009 Jul; 80(7):1146-53. PMID: 19563296. Thomas MV, Branscum A, Miller CS, Ebersole J, Al-Sabbagh M, Schuster JL.
- In-office treatment of dentinal hypersensitivity.
Dent Clin North Am. 2009 Jan; 53(1):47-60, viii. PMID: 19215743. Al-Sabbagh M, Brown A, Thomas MV.
- Patient-applied treatment of dentinal hypersensitivity.
Dent Clin North Am. 2009 Jan; 53(1):61-70, viii. PMID: 19215744. Al-Sabbagh M, Harrison E, Thomas MV.
- Implants in the esthetic zone.
Dent Clin North Am. 2006 Jul; 50(3):391-407, vi. PMID: 16818022. Al-Sabbagh M.
- Calcium sulfate: a review.
J Long Term Eff Med Implants. 2005; 15(6):599-607. PMID: 16393128. Thomas MV, Puleo DA, Al-Sabbagh M.
- Bioactive glass three decades on.
J Long Term Eff Med Implants. 2005; 15(6):585-97. PMID: 16393127. Thomas MV, Puleo DA, Al-Sabbagh M.
- Resolution of Implant-Induced Neurosensory Disturbance: A Procedural Failure. Implant Dent. 2015 Dec;24(6):735-41. Bhavsar I, Khalaf M, Ferrin J, Al-Sabbagh M.