Jonathan Smith joined the Kentucky Neuroscience Institute as a general neurologist and headache specialist. He received his medical degree from Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine & Science and completed a residency and fellowship, including serving as chief resident, at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn.
Dr. Smith specializes in headache and facial pain, general neurology, nerve block, and Botox® injections. He is currently the adult neurology residency program director.
Faculty RankAssistant Professor of Neurology
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science, North Chicago
Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn.
Headache, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn.
- Association Between Overall and Mentholated Cigarette Smoking With Headache in a Nationally Representative Sample.
Qi Gan W, Estus S, Smith JH. Headache. 2016 Mar;56(3):511-8.
- What Constitutes an "Adequate" Trial in Migraine Prevention?
Smith JH, Schwedt TJ. Curr Pain Headache Rep. 2015 Nov;19(11):52.
- Migraine phenotype in patients with a dual versus single parent history.
Smith JH, Gadient PM, Cutrer FM. Cephalalgia. 2015 Jul;35(8):735-6.
- Herpes zoster ophthalmicus following onabotulinumtoxinA administration for chronic migraine: a case report and literature review.
Gadient PM, Smith JH, Ryan SJ. Cephalalgia. 2015 Apr;35(5):443-8.
- Migraine and vertigo.
Swaminathan A, Smith JH. Curr Neurol Neurosci Rep. 2015;15(2):515.
- Human Studies in the Pathophysiology of Migraine: Genetics and Functional Neuroimaging
Cutrer, F. M. and Smith, J. H. (2013) Headache: The Journal of Head and Face Pain, 53: 401–412. doi:10.1111/head.12024
- Numbness matters: a clinical review of trigeminal neuropathy.
Smith JH, Cutrer FM. Cephalalgia. 2011 Jul;31(10):1131-44. doi: 10.1177/0333102411411203. Epub 2011 May 31.
- Association Between Overall and Mentholated Cigarette Smoking With Headache in a Nationally Representative Sample. Qi Gan W, Estus S, Smith JH. Headache. 2016 Mar;56(3):511-8.
- Botox® (Botulinum Toxin) Treatment
- Facial Pain
- Headache Medicine
- Nerve Block
Faculty Innovation in Education Award, 2015, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology (ABPN)