- Endocrine Surgery
- General Surgery
- Head and Neck Cancer Team
- Thyroid Cancer Team
Dr. David Sloan graduated from medical school at McGill University in Montreal in 1977 and completed a residency in general surgery at McGill University in 1984. His training included a master’s degree in experimental surgery and a fellowship in endocrine surgery at the Royal Northshore Hospital in Sydney, Australia with Professor T.S. Reeve. Sloan is board certified in general surgery in both Canada and the United States.
After two years on the surgical faculty of McGill University, he spent three years at the University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, completing fellowships in surgical oncology and head and neck surgery. He has been at the University of Kentucky since 1990 and holds the Warren H. Proudfoot Professorship of Surgical Oncology. He is a member of numerous surgical societies including the American College of Surgeons, the Association of Endocrine Surgeons, the Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, the Society of Surgical Oncology, the American Head and Neck Society and the Southern Surgical Association.
Ten years ago, Sloan limited his practice to thyroid and parathyroid surgery and currently is head of the Section of Endocrine Surgery at UK.
My goal is to provide the very best team-based patient-first care for patients with surgical endocrine disease.
Faculty RankWarren H. Proudfoot Professor of Surgical Oncology
McGill University, College of Medicine, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Montreal General Hospital, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston
University of Sydney, Australia
American Board of Surgery
Certifications and Special Training
American Board of Surgery
Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons (Canada)
Endocrine Certification in Neck Ultrasound (ECNU)
Endocrine SurgerySuite 302
UK Good Samaritan Medical Office BuildingFax: 859-323-6727125 E. Maxwell St.
Lexington KY 40508
UK Markey Cancer CenterFirst FloorWhitney-Hendrickson Building800 Rose St.
Lexington KY 40536
A parking lot is located near the Whitney-Hendrickson Building, accessible via Hospital Drive.
Head & Neck Cancer
Insurance policies can vary widely. Please check with your doctor/clinic for specific insurance information before your visit or procedure to avoid unexpected out-of-pocket costs. See list of insurers
- Cystic multiglandular maternal hyperparathyroidism diagnosed by neonatal hypocalcemic seizures. Long KL, Cartwright T, Sloan DA and Lee CY. Journal of Surgical Case Reports March 25, 2015.
- Esophageal fistula complicating thyroid lobectomy. Ward N, Lee CY, Lee JT and Sloan DA. Journal of Surgical Case Reports 1:1-3, 2015.
- Preoperative laryngoscopy in thyroid surgery: Do patients’ subjective voice complaints matter? Lee CY, Long K, Davenport D, Eldridge R and Sloan DA. Surgery 156 (6): 1477-1483, 2014.
- Concerning Trends in Appalachian Patients with Thyroid Carcinoma. Long K, Huang B, Guo J, Lee CY, Sloan DA and McKenzie S. The American Surgeon 80 (6): 620-23, 2014.
- Surgeon-driven ‘Thyroid interrogation’ of patients presenting with primary hyperparathyroidism. Sloan DA, Davenport DL, Eldridge RJ, and Lee CY. Journal of the American College of Surgeons 218 (4) 674-83, 2014.
- Intrapericardial parathyroid adenoma. Lee CY, Long KL, Ramaiah C and Sloan DA. Journal of Surgical Case Reports (8) 2013.
- Disparity between tissue and serum calcitonin and carcinoembryonic antigen in a patient with medullary thyroid carcinoma. Alapat DV, Ain K, Sloan DA, Monaghan KG and Karabakhtsian R. Endocrine 2011 Jan 18
- Secondary Hyperparathyroidism: Evidence for an Association with Papillary Thyroid Cancer. Klyachkin ML and Sloan DA. American Surgeon 67: 397-399, 2001.
- Advances in the Pathogenesis and Treatment of Thyroid Carcinoma. Hanna NN, Kenady DE, Sloan DA, and McGrath PC.Current Opinion Oncology. 1999 Jan;11 (1):42-7.
- Thyroid Lymphoma: Is There a Role for Surgery? Klyachkin ML, Schwartz RW, Cibull M, Munn RK, Regine WF, Kenady DE, McGrath PC, and Sloan DA. American Surgeon 64: 234-238, 1998.
- Recurrent Hyperparathyroidism
- Renal Hyperparathyroidism
- Thyroid and Parathyroid Surgical Diseases
- Thyroid Cancer
- Recurrent Thyroid Cancer
Best Doctors in America 2000-2017