Questions to ask your doctor
Your healthcare team will talk with you about the surgery options that are best for you. You may want to bring a family member or close friend with you to appointments. Write down questions you want to ask about your surgery. Consider asking each of the following questions:
- What type of surgery do you recommend, and what will be done?
- What are the risks and possible side effects of the surgery?
- How will my breast or chest look after this surgery?
- Where will the incision be, and how much tissue will be removed?
- Do you advise breast reconstruction to be done at the same time of the mastectomy? Or should it be done at a later date?
- Will I need more treatment after surgery, such as radiation or chemotherapy?
- What type of follow-up care will I need?
- When can I go back to my normal activities?