Markey Cancer Center’s ear, nose and throat specialists—called otolaryngologists or ENTs—are experts at diagnosing and treating neck masses. Your doctor may send you to an ENT if you have a neck lump that is worrisome or isn’t responding to antibiotics.
Advanced Diagnostics and Treatment for Neck Masses
Neck masses should be checked by a healthcare provider who is an expert in diagnosing problems of the ear, nose and throat. While some of these lumps are not serious, they may be a sign of cancer.
We have advanced diagnostic tools, including biopsy and ultrasound in our office. We can quickly evaluate you and give you a diagnosis for your peace of mind.
Neck masses can be a sign of cancer of the:
- Voice box
- Salivary glands
Neck masses may also be a sign of cancer that has spread from other parts of the body.
Symptoms of Neck Masses
Neck lumps vary in size, shape and location. They may be hard or soft, and some are painful, while others are not.
For many people, the neck mass itself is the only symptom. Other symptoms that may accompany neck masses include:
- Voice changes
- Problems swallowing
- Sore throat or cough
- Ear pain
- Swollen lymph nodes
- Difficulty breathing
Make an Appointment
Request an appointment online or call 859-257-4488 or 866-340-4488 (toll free).
Learn more about the Head & Neck cancer team with the provider profiles below.
- Rony K. Aouad, MD
- Thomas J. Gal, MD, MPH, FACS
- Alexandra E. Kejner, MD, FACS
- Joseph Valentino, MD, FACS
- Melvyn S. Yeoh, MD, DMD, FACS
- For your first visit, you will be directed to the Ben F. Roach Cancer Care Facility (Pavilion CC) of the Markey Cancer Center. Get directions to the Ben F. Roach Cancer Care Facility.
- You can register at the front desk, where a receptionist will help guide you through your appointment.
- Free parking is available in the Whitney-Hendrickson parking lot.
- Please remember to bring your patient packet with the completed forms. These items will help your doctor learn more about your case and determine the best plan for your care.
- Review the patient handbook to learn about your stay and everything Markey offers for patients and families.
- UK HealthCare accepts many forms of insurance.
Cancer clinical trials give our patients an opportunity to receive the latest treatments before they’re widely available. Each of our clinical trials is carefully researched and monitored by a team of physicians.
Find a Clinical Trial
Look at our database to find ongoing head and neck cancer clinical trials.