UK Markey Cancer Center is the only cancer center in the state offering the services of a certified patient navigator in collaboration with the American Cancer Society. As a member of our support services team, the patient navigator helps guide patients through their cancer journey, from diagnosis to survivorship and every point in between.
Our patient navigator meets with patients and family members upon request to assess their needs and identify any barriers to care or issues related to treatment. Then she will work to respond to these needs and connect patients to the resources they need, whether it’s a referral to our financial counseling team or helping patients find the right wig or head covering. Patient navigators act as a link to services within Markey Cancer Center, through the American Cancer Society, in your community and beyond.
The ACS Patient Navigator will:
- Assess the needs of patients and caregivers.
- Connect patients to resources that will help them overcome barriers to care or address any cancer-related issues they experience.
- Find the right wig or head covering for patients in need.
- Provide emotional support and encouragement.
- Provide tailored education and literature for patients and families specific to their diagnosis or any concerns they may be having.
Patients are welcome to visit our office to speak with our patient navigator. We will address your immediate concerns and evaluate your needs to determine how we might serve you best.