Integrative Medicine & Health supports and enhances patients' healing process.
Yoga for Cancer and Chronic Illness is one of the many modalities offered by Integrative Medicine & Health. For a patient with cancer or chronic illness, reducing stress is very important. Yoga for Cancer and Chronic Illness is an effective mind-body practice that reduces stress levels, creating positive physical, mental and emotional changes in the patient. This whole-person approach benefits the patient’s overall well-being: physically by improving heart rate, blood pressure and respiration; mentally by improving memory and concentration; and emotionally by reducing anxiety and depression, thus uplifting the spirit.
Benefits of yoga
Employees and patients with cancer and chronic illness can benefit from yoga in many ways. Yoga can help:
- Reduce stress.
- Improve sleep, focus and ability to perform daily activities.
- Increase a sense of hope, energy level and confidence.
- Increase lymph flow, blood flow and oxygenation of the blood.
- Increase flexibility of muscles and range of motion in the joints.
- Decrease tension, pain and fatigue.
- Decrease depression, anxiety and feelings of isolation.
Yoga classes at UK HealthCare
Yoga for Cancer and Chronic Illness class experience includes a combination of: awareness practice, gentle movement, breathing practice, guided meditation with creative visualization and imagery, and deep relaxation.
Yoga for Cancer and Chronic Illness
- Monday and Wednesday, 9:30-11 a.m.
- This class is open for outpatients, caregivers and survivors. The class is free, thanks to a grant funded by the Lexington Cancer Foundation. For patients, parking is available in the UK Markey Cancer Center outpatient parking areas.
UK HealthCare cares about employee health and well-being. For UK employees, yoga class at the end of the workday is a wonderful way to transition from work to home. Yoga refreshes and restores. Yoga at lunchtime offers an opportunity to recharge for the afternoon at work, improving focus and concentration for greater productivity. Classes are free.
- Tuesdays/Thursday: 5-6 p.m.
- Wednesday: 12:10-12:50 p.m.
All yoga classes are located on the third floor in Room 305 of the Whitney-Hendrickson Building on the UK Markey Cancer Center campus in Lexington.
No special clothing is required, but we encourage you to wear comfortable clothing. You may bring a yoga mat if you wish, but we provide mats and other yoga props as well.
Learn more and register for a class
Meet our instructor
Karen DiGirolamo, LMT, RYT, is the Mind-Body Movement Coordinator and oversees our yoga program. She has taught weekly classes for 15 years and also has advanced training through the YCat Program: Yoga for Cancer and Chronic Illness. Karen is also a licensed massage therapist and Jin Shin Jyutsu practitioner.