Music therapy is an established health care practice that uses music-based practices to help improve your overall well-being. Medical music therapy can enhance your quality of life, increase self-awareness, and prevent or manage a range of physical and emotional symptoms through the use of live music and interactions with your music therapist.
Board-certified music therapists address physical, emotional, cognitive, social and spiritual needs of people of all ages. Music therapists use the characteristics and elements of music to:
- Reduce pain, anxiety, agitation and stress.
- Decrease confusion.
- Improve communication, self-expression and coping skills.
- Enhance quality of life and spiritual comfort.
- Increase sense of control.
- Provide socialization and stimulation.
- Increase relaxation and overall wellness.
- Elevate mood.
- Improve perception of treatment.
A wide variety of music is utilized, depending on patient preference and needs, and no musical experience or background is necessary. Our repertoire includes country, rock, bluegrass, folk, musicals, gospel, jazz and more.
For more information on music therapy, visit the full Music Therapy webpage in UK HealthCare's Arts in HealthCare site.