Cardiovascular disease, Coronary artery disease
Ahmed K. Abdel-Latif earned his medical degree from Ain Shams University in Cairo before completing his residency in internal medicine and a research fellowship in vascular medicine at Cleveland Clinic. He later completed fellowships in cardiology at the University of Louisville, where he served as chief fellow, and in interventional cardiology at UK HealthCare.
Abdel-Latif’s interest in research and translational science – including a deep interest in stem cell biology – led him to earn his Master of Science degree, with a focus in clinical investigation, at the University of Louisville, followed by a PhD in immunology and molecular biology at UK.
Abdel-Latif practices as an interventional cardiologist at UK HealthCare and performs cardiac catheterizations and interventions. He also holds an appointment as an associate professor of cardiology in the UK College of Medicine. He is actively engaged in both basic and translational research related to stem cell therapy for heart disease. Abdel-Latif has co-authored more than 100 peer-reviewed journal manuscripts and several book chapters.
I think the most important thing as a physician, and especially in this particular area of clinical work, is to understand the major lifestyle limitations that patients face because of their disease and to be compassionate. Over the years, we have developed the necessary tools and access to the latest therapies needed to improve a patient’s clinical situation. One of these unique tools we have in our arsenal in the Cardiology Division at UK is our access to the latest clinical trials. This puts us at the forefront of the latest advances in cardiac care and allows our patients to undergo the latest and most successful therapies that are still in the pre-clinical stage.
Faculty RankAssociate Professor of Medicine
Ain Shams University, Cairo, Egypt
Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland
University of Kentucky
Certifications and Special Training
American Board of Internal Medicine
American Board of Internal Medicine, Cardiovascular Disease
Please let us know by filling out a patient satisfaction survey when you get one. You can also leave an online review by clicking the button below.
- Cardiac Chemical Exchange Saturation Transfer MR Imaging Tracking of Cell Survival or Rejection in Mouse Models of Cell Therapy.
Radiology. 2016 Jul 15;152766. Pumphrey AL, Ye S, Yang Z, Simkin J, Gensel JC, Abdel-Latif A, Vandsburger MH.
- Radiofrequency and Cryoablation Effect on Transvenous Pacing and Defibrillatory Lead Integrity: An in vitro study.
J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol. 2016 May 3. Darrat YH, Agarwal A, Morales GX, Thompson J, Abdel-Latif A, Waespe K, Biase LD, Natale A, Patwardan A, Elayi CS.
- Evidence that a lipolytic enzyme-hematopoietic-specific phospholipase C-β2-promotes mobilization of hematopoietic stem cells by decreasing their lipid raft-mediated bone marrow retention and increasing the promobilizing effects of granulocytes.
Leukemia. 2016 Apr;30(4):919-28. Adamiak M, Poniewierska-Baran A, Borkowska S, Schneider G, Abdelbaset-Ismail A, Suszynska M, Abdel-Latif A, Kucia M, Ratajczak J, Ratajczak MZ.
- Safety of an abbreviated duration of dual antiplatelet therapy (≤6 months) following second-generation drug-eluting stents for coronary artery disease: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized trials.
Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2016 Mar;87(4):722-32. Ziada KM, Abdel-Latif A, Charnigo R, Moliterno DJ.
- Circulating Endothelial Cells and Endothelial Function Predict Major Adverse Cardiac Events and Early Adverse Left Ventricular Remodeling in Patients With ST-Segment Elevation Myocardial Infarction.
J Interv Cardiol. 2016 Feb;29(1):89-98. Abdel Hamid M, Bakhoum SW, Sharaf Y, Sabry D, El-Gengehe AT, Abdel-Latif A.
- Cardiac Chemical Exchange Saturation Transfer MR Imaging Tracking of Cell Survival or Rejection in Mouse Models of Cell Therapy. Radiology. 2016 Jul 15;152766. Pumphrey AL, Ye S, Yang Z, Simkin J, Gensel JC, Abdel-Latif A, Vandsburger MH.
Cardiac Catheterization & Interventions
UK Albert B. Chandler Hospital - Pavilion GGill Heart & Vascular Institute800 Rose St.
Lexington, KY 40536
Cardiac Catheterization and Interventions
Insurance policies can vary widely. Please check with your doctor/clinic for specific insurance information before your visit or procedure to avoid unexpected out-of-pocket costs. See list of insurers