Skip the sugary cereal and try these 2 healthy breakfasts
May 2, 2019 / in Nutrition & recipes / by UK HealthCare
You may be rushing to get out the door in the morning, but skipping a nutritious breakfast is no way to start the day. Eating a healthy breakfast provides your body with fuel for the day, keeps your mind sharp and gets your metabolism going.
Eating a healthy breakfast helps:
- Improve your mental health.
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Be more alert and energetic.
- Reduce your chances of heart disease and diabetes.
Sticking with essential ingredients can simplify planning meals. Go for foods that are high in fiber and low in sugar. When choosing ingredients look for:
- Lean protein, like eggs, lean meats, nuts and seeds.
- Fruits and vegetables. You can buy fresh or frozen, just be sure to include them in your diet!
- Healthy dairy, such as low-sugar or Greek yogurts and low-fat cottage cheese.
- Whole grains, such as oatmeal.
If you're looking to boost your breakfast, try these two delicious recipes:
Oatmeal Pecan Waffles with Fresh Fruit
Nutrition (per serving): 340 calories, 14 grams protein, 9 grams fiber
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup quick oats
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted chopped pecans
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 ½ cups skim milk
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups strawberries, washed, stems removed, and halved
- 1 cup blackberries, washed
- 1 cup blueberries, washed
1. Preheat waffle iron.
2. Combine flour, oats, baking powder, sugar and pecans in a large bowl.
3. Whisk together egg yolks, milk and vegetable oil in a separate bowl.
4. Add liquid mixture to the dry ingredients and mix. Do not over-mix; mixture should be lumpy.
5. Whip egg whites to medium peaks. Gently fold egg whites into batter.
6. Pour batter into waffle iron and cook until steam stops pouring from the top.
7. Add fresh fruit to each waffle after you remove the waffle from.
Fruit and Almond Smoothie
Nutrition: 100 calories, 5 grams protein, 2 gram fiber
- 1/2 cup frozen strawberries
- 1/2 cup frozen peaches
- 1 individual-sized berry Greek yogurt
- 1 cup almond milk
1. Place all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.
Read MoreNutrition and recipes