Kohl's UK Asthma Program
Did you know . . .
- More kids miss school because of asthma than for any other illness?
- Annually, asthma accounts for 14.7 million missed school days for children?
- In Kentucky, 10.6 percent of children 11 years and younger, 13.6 percent of middle school students and 11.8 percent of high school students currently have asthma?
- Symptoms of asthma include: Chronic cough, inability to sleep at night, lack of improvement in sports and poor growth?
Kohl’s Cares for Kids and UK HealthCare have teamed up to provide informational talks in local communities to educate parents and caregivers about the causes and treatments of asthma at the following festivals:
- Hillbilly Days, Pikeville, Ky., April 19-20
- Black Bear Festival, Cumberland, Ky., May 10-11
- Boyle County Fair, Danville, Ky., May 31-June 1
- Green River Catfish Fest, Morgantown, Ky., July 5-6
- Bluegrass in the Park Folklife Festival, Henderson, Ky., Aug. 9-10
- Black Gold Festival, Hazard, Ky., Sept. 20-22
- ACMC Fall Arts Festival, Harrodsburg, Ky., Oct. 12-13
For more information, please call Kentucky Children's Hospital Office of Development at 859-257-1106.
Jamshed Kanga, MD, will provide information on how you can improve the quality of life for children living with asthma. Dr. Kanga is the Chief of Pediatric Pulmonology at Kentucky Children’s Hospital. He specializes in diagnosing and treating childhood asthma.
Children exposed to secondhand smoke have difficulty breathing. The number one thing we can do for our children with asthma is to quit smoking. See Amanda's story.
- For more information about these programs, please call 859-323-8091.
- To read more about asthma, view our Asthma Fact Sheet.
- For more information about the services offered at Kentucky Children’s Hospital, visit the website.
- For more information about the Kohl’s Cares for Kids program, visit their Community Relations page.