• New students

    If you are a new student at UK, this section will direct you to some important information about University Health Service.

  • Covered services for students

    All students at the University of Kentucky are eligible to use University Health Service (UHS) for their health care. Full-time undergraduate and graduate UK students pay a mandatory Health Fee as part of tuition which covers unlimited visits for primary care, women’s health, behavioral health, health education and nursing services. Part-time UK students and BCTC students may elect to pay the Health Fee to receive the same covered benefits as full-time students, or they may use University Health Service on a fee-for-service basis.

    Read more about services offered at UHS.

  • Health Fee

    University Health Service provides a variety of basic health care services for free (or at low cost) to students who have paid the Health Fee. The Health Fee is a mandatory fee assessed to full-time undergraduate and graduate students during the fall and spring semesters. Part-time UK students and BCTC students may elect to pay the Health Fee or be seen at UHS on a fee-for-service basis.

    Read more about services covered by the Health Fee.

  • Insurance

    Health insurance coverage is strongly recommended. Although the Health Fee covers several basic health care services, it is NOT health insurance and is not intended to replace health insurance.

    Although UK students are welcome to use a health insurance plan of their choice, they are invited to purchase the gold metal level UK Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP). UK SHIP is customized by the school to meet the year-round needs of UK students and their families at a competitive price.

    Read more about health insurance and UHS.

  • Vaccinations

    In order to ensure the safest possible environment for University of Kentucky students, the university has immunization recommendations for students attending UK. These are based upon recommendations and guidelines issued by the American College Health Association (ACHA), the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and the federal Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP).

    The University of Kentucky requires meningitis vaccine for incoming students living in university residence halls (dorms) and strongly recommends other vaccines for all incoming students.

    Read more about immunizations and vaccinations.

  • Transferring prescriptions

    Students may fill prescriptions at the UHS Pharmacy, conveniently located on the first floor of the University Health Service building. Students can transfer prescriptions from their home pharmacy to the UHS Pharmacy conveniently located on campus.

    Read more about the UHS Pharmacy and how to transfer prescriptions.

  • Medical records

    The first time you visit University Health Service (UHS) you will be asked to complete a health history form. This begins your electronic medical record, which becomes a history of your visits to UHS. Each time you come to UHS, your electronic medical record will be updated.

    Read more about medical records.