vs. health insurance
University Health Service provides a variety of basic health care services for free (or at low cost) to students who have paid the Health Fee. The Health Fee is a mandatory fee assessed to full-time undergraduate students during the fall and spring semesters. Graduate, part-time and BCTC
students may elect to pay the Health Fee or be seen at UHS on a fee-for-service basis.
Read more about services covered by the
Health insurance coverage is strongly recommended. Although the Health Fee covers several basic health care services, it is NOT health insurance and is not intended to replace health insurance.
UK students are welcome to use the health insurance plan of their choice, but an affordable school-sponsored health insurance plan is available which is customized to complement the care provided through the Health Fee at University Health Service.
Read more about
health insurance and UHS.
Responsibilities of the student who incurs charges at the Health Service are as follows:
- Payment in full is expected on the day of service. Cash, check, MasterCard, VISA or the UK Plus Card are accepted forms of payment. If it is impossible for payment to be made on that date, payment in full is expected within 30 days.
- Students who do not pay their bills within 60 days will be considered financially delinquent and will be subject to the University's delinquency policy, which states that all outstanding bills owed to any unit of the University must be paid before a student can register, drop or add classes,
graduate or obtain a transcript.
- Students who have questions about bills received from the Health Service should call the Health Service Billing Department for assistance at 859-218-3204.
- Insurance claims to other private carriers, other than the University-sponsored student insurance plan, cannot be filed by the Health Service. Students may request a statement of charges at the time of service. This statement contains all necessary information for filing insurance with
- UHS is a participating provider for the Student Health Insurance Plan only. Services at UHS may not be covered by other insurance plans, in which case students are responsible for any balance on their account.