• Eligibility and fees

    Full-time and part-time students

    All students at the University of Kentucky are eligible to use the Health Service for their health care.

    All University of Kentucky full-time students pay a mandatory fee as part of tuition which entitles them to most services at University Health Service at minimal cost.

    Part-time students may elect to pre-pay the health fee to entitle them to receive the same covered benefits as full-time students or they may use the Health Service on a fee-for-service basis. Part-time UK students may pay the fee at the Student Billing Office in Funkhouser Building.

    Graduate students who are not registered in classes but are actively engaged in research leading to a degree are eligible to use the Health Service and pay the health fee. These students may be asked to obtain verification of their status from their department chairperson, dean or academic advisor each semester.

    Students who have graduated and have a record on file are eligible to be seen in that clinic at UHS on a fee-for-service basis for one semester following graduation. (e.g. - students who graduate in May may be seen during the following summer months; students who graduate in August may be seen during the following fall semester; students who graduate in December may be seen during the following spring semester.) During this period, former students should arrange to have their medical records transferred to their new physician.

    Spouses of all eligible students who are not students themselves may be seen at University Health Service for all services on a fee-for-service basis except behavioral health visits. They must present their spouse's student ID to receive treatment. Children and other family members are not eligible. J-Scholars and ESL students who have purchased the student insurance plan are eligible to be seen on a fee-for-service basis.

  • Bluegrass Community and Technical College students

    Bluegrass Community and Technical College students enrolled at Bluegrass Community and Technical College (at the Cooper, Regency or Winchester campuses) may receive services through University Health Service under these guidelines:

    • Participating and eligible campuses include: Cooper, Winchester, and Regency only.
    • Any BCTC student attending any of these campuses can be seen on a fee-for-service basis (charges range depending on the visit type).
    • Any BCTC student who is enrolled in at least six hours of traditional in-classroom hours may purchase the health fee for that semester, which would cover the cost of unlimited visits at UHS.
    • BCTC students who are interested in purchasing the health fee may do so online at the E-Store at https://iweb.uky.edu/ukestore/.
    • Students who are enrolled strictly in correspondence courses are ineligible to purchase the health fee and cannot be seen at UHS.
    • BCTC students must present a current BCTC ID at time of visit.
  • Change of student status

    If a full-time student withdraws from school, the health fee will be refunded by the Registrar's Office as part of the pro-rated tuition refund. Such individuals are eligible to use the Health Service on a fee-for-service basis until the end of the semester. Any questions regarding this matter should be directed to the UHS billing office at 859-218-3203.

    If a student changes status from part-time to full-time, the health fee will be added to the tuition if it has not already been purchased.

    If a student changes from full-time to part-time, the health fee will be refunded by the Registrar's Office as part of the pro-rated tuition refund. Students who wish to retain health fee covered services should call the Health Service billing office (859-218-3203) for instructions.

  • Minors

    Minors have statutory authority to consent for certain treatment at University Health Service. For all other issues, by Kentucky law, students under 18 years of age cannot be treated at the University Health Service without parental consent. Parents are advised to download, sign and mail the form named consent for treatment of minor (PDF, 13 KB) before the beginning of a semester or before the student seeks medical care.

  • Summer session

    The University Health Service is available for health care during the summer. The health fee is voluntary for most students in the summer. To use the Health Service, registered students must pay the summer health fee or pay on a fee-for service basis.

  • Billing policies

    Responsibilities of the student who incurs charges at the Health Service are as follows:

    • Payment in full is expected on the day of service. Cash, check, MasterCard, VISA or the UK Plus card are accepted forms of payment. If it is impossible for payment to be made on that date, payment in full is expected within 60 days.
    • Students who do not pay their bills will be considered financially delinquent and will be subject to the University's delinquency policy which states that all outstanding bills owed to any unit of the University must be paid before a student can register, drop or add classes, graduate or obtain a transcript.
    • Students who have questions about bills received from the Health Service should call the Health Service Billing Department for assistance at 859-218-3203.
    • Insurance claims to other private carriers, other than the University-sponsored student insurance plan, cannot be filed by the Health Service. Students may request a statement of charges at the time of service. This statement contains all necessary information for filing insurance with private carriers.
    • UHS is a participating provider for the Student Health Insurance Plan only. Services at UHS may not be covered by other insurance plans, in which case students are responsible for any balance on their account.