Home - it's where children grow up and learn, the place where they find comfort, love and care. It's where they can discover and experience the world around them in a comfortable environment so their minds and bodies can develop. Home is also a place where children need to feel safe. We may not realize it, but there are many dangers in our homes.
The hard facts
Home injuries are a leading source of accidental deaths for children. Almost 21 million medical visits and 20,000 deaths each year are a result of accidents in the home. These accidents occur from children choking on objects, being bitten by a trusted pet, furniture or television tip-overs or wandering out the front door. Fortunately, home injuries are largely avoidable through education and preventative measures. Parents can take proactive steps to childproof their homes and keep their children safe by teaching them practical rules.
- Supervise children at all times when in or near water. Splashing around in the water at bath time or playtime can present many possible hazards. It only takes a couple seconds for drowning to occur.
- Prevent furniture from falling over. Use brackets, braces or wall straps to secure top-heavy pieces to the wall.
- Mount flat-screen TVs to the wall to prevent them from toppling off stands.
- Create a safe sleeping environment for babies. An infant's nose and mouth can be covered accidentally by fluffy pillows, comforters or stuffed animals, restricting his or her ability to breath.
- Store all household products and cleaning solutions out of children’s sight and reach. Young kids are often eye level with items under the kitchen and bathroom sinks.
Check out our literature and video below to learn more about other risk areas in your home and how to prevent possible accidents in the future:
Note: If you wish to print, turn off pop-up blocker
Fire Escape Plan (PDF, 87 KB)
Home Safety Infographic (PDF, 415 KB)
Home Safety Tip Sheet (PDF, 645 KB)
Home Safety Check Card (PDF, 254 KB)
Home Safety Research Study (PDF, 4 MB)
Laundry Safety Infographic (PDF, 1 MB)
Laundry Packet Tip Card (PDF, 397 KB)
TV/Furniture Safety Tip Sheet (PDF, 413 KB)
Batteries Fact Sheet - English (PDF, 512 KB)
Batteries Fact Sheet - Spanish (PDF, 609 KB)
Home Safety Fact Sheet (PDF, 166 KB)
Safe Kids Sleep Flyer (PDF, 721 KB)
Choking and Strangulation Prevention Tips (PDF, 310 KB)
Cooking Safety, A Checklist for Parents (PDF, 1 MB)
Sleep Safety Tips (PDF, 570 KB)
Tip-overs by the Numbers (PDF, 785 KB)
Tip Overs Research Report (PDF, 2.37 MB)
TV tip-over awareness
Por favor, lea nuestra literatura abajo para aprender sobre los muebles vuelco riesgos en su casa y cómo prevenir posibles accidentes en el futuro.
Atención: Si desea imprimir, apague pop-up blocker.