Bike and wheeled sports safety
Learning how to ride a bike for the first time is a memorable experience for all, whether you are young or old. We want you to build more memories riding with family and friends while staying safe at the same time. Here are a few tips to stay safe and enjoy your ride.
The hard facts
About nine out of 10 bicyclists who die are not wearing a helmet. The U.S Consumer Product Safety Commission conducted a survey which found that roughly 50 percent of bicyclists wear a helmet. Helmets can reduce the risk of severe brain injury by 88 percent - yet only 38 percent of adult bicyclists wear a helmet. By comparison, about two-thirds of children wear bicycle safety helmets.
- Obey traffic rules and regulations. Bicycles are vehicles too and must obey all traffic laws, including signs and signals. Obeying the law is the best way to decrease the risk of a collision or accident.
- Never ride against traffic and be sure to use hand signals to communicate with other motorists to let them know what you intend to do.
- Teach your children to make eye contact with drivers. Bikers should make sure that motorists are paying attention and recognize that bikers are present.
- When riding at night, dawn or when visibility is low, children and adults should have a bright headlight and red tail light. Be sure your bikes have reflectors on them as well. For extra precaution, wear clothing and accessories that are bright and have reflective materials to improve visibility to drivers.
- Always wear a helmet. Whether you are riding down the street or taking a 30-mile trip, wear a helmet at all times.
To learn more about bike and wheeled sport safety, check out the safety literature and links below:
Bicycle, Skate and Skateboard Safety Fact Sheet (PDF, 163 KB)
Bikeability Checklist (PDF, 335 KB)
Safe Kids Helmet Display 2014 (PDF, 1.7 MB)
Bike Rodeo Station Guide (PDF, 226 KB)
Bicycle Safety Lesson Plan (PDF, 142 KB)
Bike Safety Tips - English (PDF, 434 KB)
Bike Safety Tips - Spanish (PDF, 409 KB)
Helmet Fit Test - English (PDF, 74 KB)
Helmet Fit Test - Spanish (PDF, 74 KB)
Skating and Skateboarding Safety Tips (PDF, 397 KB)
Links to bike resources
Safe Routes to School
Association of Pedestrian and Bicycle Professionals
League of American Bicyclists
Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute
Fit your helmet correctly with our bike helmet fit test video