Bike and wheeled sports safety
Learning how to ride a bike for the first time is a memorable experience for all, whether you are young or old. We want you to build more memories riding with family and friends while staying safe at the same time. Here are a few tips to stay safe and enjoy your ride.
The hard facts
About nine out of 10 bicyclists who die are not wearing a helmet. The U.S Consumer Product Safety Commission conducted a survey which found that roughly 50 percent of bicyclists wear a helmet. Helmets can reduce the risk of severe brain injury by 88 percent - yet only 38 percent of adult bicyclists wear a helmet. By comparison, about two-thirds of children wear bicycle safety helmets.
- Obey traffic rules and regulations. Bicycles are vehicles too and must obey all traffic laws, including signs and signals. Obeying the law is the best way to decrease the risk of a collision or accident.
- Never ride against traffic and be sure to use hand signals to communicate with other motorists to let them know what you intend to do.
- Teach your children to make eye contact with drivers. Bikers should make sure that motorists are paying attention and recognize that bikers are present.
- When riding at night, dawn or when visibility is low, children and adults should have a bright headlight and red tail light. Be sure your bikes have reflectors on them as well. For extra precaution, wear clothing and accessories that are bright and have reflective materials to improve visibility to drivers.
- Always wear a helmet. Whether you are riding down the street or taking a 30-mile trip, wear a helmet at all times.
To learn more about bike and wheeled sport safety, check out our safety literature and video below:
Note: If you wish to print, turn off pop-up blocker
Bicycle, Skate and Skateboard Safety Fact Sheet (PDF, 156 KB)
Bike Safety Tips - English (PDF, 937 KB)
Bike Safety Tips - Spanish (PDF, 698 KB)
Helmet Fit Test - English (PDF, 72 KB)
Helmet Fit Test - Spanish (PDF, 73 KB)
Skating and Skateboarding Safety Tips (PDF, 896 KB)
Wear your helmet! (PDF, 996 KB)
Fit your helmet correctly with our bike helmet fit test video