Saddle Up SAFELY program overview
Saddle Up SAFELY will promote safe practices for those who ride or work around horses through a broad-based, multi-media educational campaign developed in partnership with community, state, and national organizations. Plans for the five-year program include:
- A series of brochures, developed by UK equine experts, on safety practices and equine-related health issues for adults and children.
- Interactive Web site where riders from around the world can submit suggestions and lessons learned about safety.
- Continuing medical education for those who treat injured riders and workers, including physicians, nurses, first responders, pharmacists, emergency department staff, and healthcare instructors.
- Multi-media campaign: Media partners including newspapers, Web sites, and magazines will feature ads promoting the safety messages and offering brochures and more information. Expert columns on safety topics will also be featured.
- Education-based programs: Video and print materials for educating riders of all ages will be developed.
- Volunteers available for making presentations to groups: Saddle Up SAFELY has established an auxiliary group of experienced riders who are available to make presentations on safety issues to your organization, using materials approved by experts. To schedule a speaker from Saddle Up SAFELY, please call (859) 323-5508. (Speakers available at no cost in the Central Kentucky region; for other locales, host organization will need to provide travel expenses.)
- Educated visitors to the 2010 World Equestrian Games: As the exclusive medical provider for the 2010 World Equestrian Games in Lexington, Kentucky, UK HealthCare had a prominent exhibit at the games and distributed Saddle Up SAFELY information to thousands of attendees and participants.