ED and trauma nursing services
The UK HealthCare Chandler Hospital Emergency Department (ED) is a Level 1 Trauma Center with approximately 40,000 patient visits a year. We serve Fayette County and the surrounding counties and have a large referral population from Eastern Kentucky.
The ED is an important component of the Emergency Medicine/Trauma Services and includes Neonatal/Pediatric Emergency Transport Services.
An Emergency Department is also available at UK Good Samaritan Hospital »
- UK Chandler Emergency Department averages 100-110 patients per day
- Approximately 72% of the patients are discharged and 28% are admitted
- Approximately three-quarters of patient visits are adults (over 14 years of age).
- The ED has six trauma/critical care monitored beds, two of which can be used for isolation
- There are 15 urgent beds
- Other areas include the triage/registration area and a family room.
Nurses who work in the Emergency Department have special certification requirements:
- Emergency Nurse Pediatric Course (ENPC)
- Trauma Nurse Core Course (TNCC)
- Hazmat training
The Emergency Department has a unique internship and orientation program for new graduates and experienced RNs.
Staffing patterns vary in the ED based on the day of the week and the needs of the department. Shifts generally are 8-12 hours in length.