Our nursing mission, vision, values and philosophy
Provide leading-edge patient care while advancing professional nursing and practice. Watch this video to learn more about our mission.
Leading the way for every patient, every time:
Practice, patient care and scholarship
- Innovation and learning
- Patient-centered care
- Evidence-based practice
- We consider our work as nurses to be an honor, and we strive for continuous improvement in order to provide excellence in all that we do.
- Nursing care is delivered in a complex environment that supports the trifold mission of patient care, education and research. As nurses we participate in each aspect of the mission with patient care holding the principal position in our daily efforts.
- Organizationally, we are committed to shared governance for nursing practice. Therefore, UK HealthCare nurses' practice is of an autonomous nature with the commensurate accountability for nursing process and outcomes.
- The dynamic nature of patient care dictates that we support ongoing education for all nurses, including the goal of the baccalaureate degree as the entry level for the majority of our nursing staff. Our nurses are expected to meet patient and organizational goals. Through education, coaching and mentoring, we are committed to developing expert nurse clinicians and leaders.
- By means of clinical inquiry, research and a work environment that fosters learning and expert practice, we continuously strive to add to the body of knowledge that supports and improves nursing quality and patient outcomes.
- As a patient's right to participate in care planning and choices is a held nursing value at UK HealthCare, we understand that patient and family education regarding treatment and care options is a nursing responsibility, held jointly with our physicians and other members of the team. We accept that responsibility.
Letter from Chief Nurse Executive
Please read a letter (PDF, 117 KB) from our Chief Nurse Executive, Colleen Swartz, DNP, MBA, RN.