Student Nurse Academic Practicum (SNAP)
Following the IOM and ANCC's call for nurses to achieve higher levels of education and training, UK HealthCare is committed to being a BSN preferred institution.
Getting great experience and a career… it's a SNAP
You've chosen nursing as your career and excelled in the classroom, and now you're ready to get that hands-on experience. Take the fast track from the classroom to your career with the Student Nurse Academic Practicum (SNAP).
UK Albert B. Chandler Hospital, UK Good Samaritan Hospital and the UK College of Nursing have collaborated to create SNAP to give you the real-life tools you need to succeed and the opportunity to experience life as a nurse with UK HealthCare. In this program you will increase clinical skill proficiency, work with an interdisciplinary health care team in an academic medical center and develop knowledge of evidence-based nursing practice. The SNAP program will be the gateway to establish a long-term professional relationship with UK HealthCare.
The program (what you get)
- 10 weeks (June – August) with pay
- Three college credit hours
- Hands-on clinical experience
- Opportunity for future employment
The requirements (what you need)
- Apply online at UK Jobs: Search to SNAP job. Print a copy of the completed application and include it in the application packet.
- Enrollment in an accredited school of nursing, such as UK College of Nursing.
- Satisfactory completion of junior year of BSN program and first year of ADN program nursing courses with expected graduation in December 2015 or May 2016.
- Minimum 2.75 GPA in nursing courses and 2.75 cumulative GPA.
- Complete online SNAP application. Please read the Introduction letter before printing, completing and delivering the forms below to the Nurse Recruitment office by 4:30 p.m. on Jan. 9, 2015.
- Must commit to 300 working hours during the 10-week program.
- Current American Heart Association Basic Life Support Certification.
- Meet UK guidelines for employment (pre-employment drug screen and national background check).
- Complete a mandatory integrated senior practicum (synthesis experience) at UK HealthCare.
- Extend first priority for employment at UK HealthCare upon completion of SNAP program and degree requirements.
Details and frequently asked questions
So get on the fast track today. You'll get real experience and kick start your career! Find out more: Call 1-800-233-5851 or 859-323-5851 or email.
The University of Kentucky is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from minorities and women.