About Safe Kids
Safe Kids Fayette County is a childhood injury prevention program led by Kentucky Children’s Hospital in Lexington, Kentucky.
Safe Kids Fayette County was established in 1993 as Fayette County Safe Kids Coalition when the University of Kentucky Medical Center signed a contract with the National SAFE KIDS Campaign to become the lead organization.
A Steering Committee, made up of various area community agencies and organizations, was formed and first met in May 1994. The coalition became the first local community-oriented and community-driven childhood injury prevention program in the area.
Who We Are
Safe Kids Fayette County is a network of community partners dedicated to preventing accidental injuries to children by stimulating changes in attitudes, behavior and the environment. We empower families and neighborhood communities to create safe environments, conduct research and advocate for effective laws.
The work of Safe Kids is accomplished by countless hours of service provided by our team of devoted volunteers.
What We Do
There is no one device or solution to effectively prevent all types of accidental childhood injuries. Instead, Safe Kids combines several factors to create programs that reduce injuries:
• Educating adults and children.
• Creating safe environments.
• Conducting research.
• Advocating for effective laws.
Our programs focus on the major injury risk areas for children
- Traffic Safety
- As a passenger in a motor vehicle
- As a pedestrian
- On a bike, scooter, skateboard or roller skates
- Safety In and Around Cars
- Fire and Burn Prevention
- Preventing Falls At Home, At Play and On the Way
- Water Safety
- Sports Safety
- Poison Prevention
- Safe Sleep/Infant Safety
- General Home Safety
Interested In Being A Part of Safe Kids?
Join us at one of our coalition meetings.
Contact the Safe Kids office for additional information, to become a member of the coalition or to volunteer for an upcoming event.
Safe Kids Coalition Partners (Updated March 15, 2012)
• Auto Tech Service
• Bluegrass Emergency Nurses Association
• Brain Injury Associates of Kentucky
• Cardinal Hill Rehabilitation Hospital
• Central Baptist Hospital
• Child Care Council of Kentucky
• Commission for Children with Special Healthcare Needs
• Department for Community Based Services - Foster Care
• Family Care Center
• Fayette County Public Schools
• FCPS - Early Start Program
• FCPS - Family Resource/Youth Service Centers
• Injury Free Coalition for Kids
• Kentucky Children's Hospital
• Kentucky Injury Prevention Research Center
• Lexington Division of Fire and Emergency Services
• Lexington Division of Police
• Lexington Family Magazine
• Lexington-Fayette County Health Department - Child Care Health Consultation
• LFUCG Division of Parks and Recreation
• LFUCG Division of Planning - Bike/Pedestrian Program Office
• Lexington Medical Society Alliance
• Second Presbyterian Church Parish Nursing
• Saint Joseph Hospital East
• Sisters of Invention
• UK Healthcare Marketing
• UK Healthcare Public Relations
• UK Trauma Program Office
• YMCA of Central Kentucky