Organ Failure and Transplantation Network
About the network
To better serve the people of Kentucky and surrounding states, the UK Transplant Center created the Organ Failure and Transplantation Network. The goal of this network is to work with local physicians to provide the latest advancements in the treatment of end stage kidney failure. Additionally, the affiliation enables some transplantation services, such as lab tests and other pre-transplant evaluations to be performed by the local physician.
To learn more about this network, please contact email@example.com.
Overview of the program
As part of the state's flagship university, UK HealthCare is dedicated to the health of the people of Kentucky and surrounding states. We will work to strengthen local healthcare and improve the delivery system by partnering with community hospitals and physicians.
Benefits of becoming an Organ Failure and Transplantation Network member:
- Local physicians engaged in the treatment process
- Interactive peer network
- Continuing educational opportunities
(PDF, 105 Kb)
Voluntary appointment status
The purpose of the Community-based Faculty Program is to strengthen the ties between the University and practicing health professionals. Eight Area Health Education Centers (AHECs) serve as links between the University and community-based faculty. Some accomplishments include:
- Benefits package
- Public relations recognition efforts to community newspapers
- Regional interdisciplinary faculty training
- Annual conference
- Research protocols and/or preceptorship opportunities
Physician education will include:
- A network manual on kidney transplantation
- Patient referral and management updates
- One annual, day-long seminar at UK
- Two part-day teleconferences
- Opportunities for "mini fellowships"
Members of the network will be:
- Given a UKY email address which is secure to transfer protected health information between the network physician office and UK HealthCare.
- Granted access to view the electronic medical records including: ED H&P
- Medication History
- Results viewing
- Discharge Summary
- OP Report
- CPOE of their patients care through CITRIX (security software provided by UKHC)
- Web based access into OTTR
Traditional methods of the post office and faxing information will also remain available based on the needs of the physician.
Single phone call for answers
A network coordinator will be provided to help streamline and coordinate the process for the network physician, his staff and patients, providing a single, responsive point of contact. Of course, you may use UK•MDs to reach a UK physician at anytime by calling 800-888-5533.
To expedite the evaluation of your patients, a network physician may choose to perform some or all of the evaluation testing.
Charge structure to be developed by an independent consultant in accordance with payor guidelines.
All charges are subject to a Medicare audit.
- Clinical services including consultation, pre-operative consultation with transplant team, and post operative follow-up
- Educational programming including case presentations, conferences, and research programming
- Family/emotional support via videophone which connects patient rooms to patient homes
- Virtual support groups connect transplant patients to other transplant patients and experts throughout the state
- Individual physician offices may purchase eyeball cameras (approx. $300) for conference participation
As part of network membership, the network physician will be provided with:
- A small window sign which the physician has the option to display.
- Use of the network logo on stationary, informational brochures and Web site after UK HealthCare marketing approval.
- Additionally, if the participant chooses, UKHC will provide up to $10,000 of matching funds annually to the participant for local marketing of the network, which might include:
- Direct mail
- Newspaper ads
- Radio ads
Patient accommodations in Lexington
UK HealthCare will arrange discounted hotels and cabs for patients needing to stay overnight in Lexington for pre-transplant evaluations or for family members when the patient is in the hospital for an extended period.
Our network is flexible
The goal of UK HealthCare is to create a dynamic, interactive network for kidney failure and transplantation. We want to hear your ideas on making the network the best it can be.