UK Birthing Center: Online Tour
The UK Birthing Center is Central Kentucky's leading facility specializing in high-risk pregnancies and deliveries.
Before you arrive at UK Birthing Center, take our online tour below or schedule a free tour of our facility and birthing center.
To schedule a free tour of our facility and birthing center, call 859-323-2750.
For assistance in choosing an obstetrician, call 859-257-1000.
Register online (PDF 838 KB) before you arrive for your maternity hospital stay. Be sure to let the triage clerk know you pre-registered online.
If you need to be seen after hours, have an unexpected episode or begin labor, you need to come to the third floor of the hospital and check in at our triage registration office. The triage registration is the glass office on the third floor.
Triage waiting area
The triage waiting area is small and intended for you, the mother-to-be and one support person. Additional family members will be more comfortable in the main Birthing Center waiting area.
There is a waiting area on the third floor specifically for family and visitors of patients in the Birthing Center. The waiting room has a television and a phone to allow updates on patient conditions.
An area where the mother and baby will be evaluated by a physician and nurse. The exam rooms are small, so only one visitor will be allowed while the patient is in triage. We have two kinds of exam rooms.
Labor and delivery suites
The Birthing Center offers twelve labor and delivery suites with areas within view where the baby is cared for immediately after birth. The rooms are soundproof and equipped with private bathrooms and showers. Fold-down recliners are in each room if the support person wishes to spend the night. Your baby will room-in with you while you are in the hospital. Occasionally, complications may arise and your baby may need to go to the Newborn Nursery for additional care.
Radiant warmers are used to help stabilize a baby's temperature after delivery and during the time of their first bath.
If a cesarean delivery is necessary, the Birthing Center has a fully equipped operating room and recovery room. Once in the operating room, an anesthesiologist administers the appropriate medications and monitors the mother's vital signs. A monitor is available to check the baby's heart rate before the surgery begins. Your designated support person is allowed to sit next to you during the delivery and help you hold your baby for the first time. The radiant warmer unit supports the infant's temperature after birth. A pediatrician and a registered nurse attend cesarean deliveries to care for the baby.
The mother baby unit offers nine semi-private rooms and eight private. After delivery, mothers and babies recover in the mother baby unit. The mother baby nurse will assist the parents with the baby's first bath. We encourage 24 hour rooming in with your baby. We make every attempt to give you a private room, but when the unit is filled to capacity you may have to share a room.
In the newborn nursery, a team of specialized nurses provides attentive, personalized care for your baby. The mother and her main support person may visit in the nursery. Rest assured that your baby's security is very important -- the Birthing Center is equipped with security systems to protect your baby. Infants also wear an electronic sensor that sounds an alarm if the tag is tampered with or the baby is removed from the unit.
You'll be discharged and take your new baby home from your room in the mother baby unit.
Before you come to the birthing center
- Have your nursery finished
- Select a pediatrician
- Make time for a follow up appointment within a week, or two days if breastfeeding. You can set up the appointment while at the birthing center.
- Take our Childbirth Education classes, such as CPR
- Childproof your house using the guidelines from groups such as the Fayette County Safe Kids Coalition.
- Take note of product recalls
- Check out Lexington Fayette County Health Department resources such as the HANDS program for first time parents
- Find out about breastfeeding your baby - see our Breastfeeding Resources
- Install your baby's car seat and get it checked before you come to the birthing center: Safe Kids Fayette County offers free car seat checks. Call 859-455-SEAT to make an appointment at one of the local fire stations to have your seat checked. Available Monday - Friday 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. and Saturdays noon - 4 p.m., or they will work with you to schedule a time.