Speech Language Pathology Fact Sheet
View Speech Language Pathology Fact Sheet (PDF, 122 KB)
The UK Speech Language Pathology team offers inpatient and outpatient treatment in a centralized location. Services are provided by professional speech language pathologists holding master's level degrees. These specialists are licensed by the Kentucky Board of Speech Language Pathology and nationally certified by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association. These speech pathologists also serve as clinical faculty members within the UK College of Health Sciences, training graduate students in clinical service.
Outpatient services are provided through the UK Communication Sciences and Disorders Clinic, located in the Charles T. Wethington Building, adjacent to Kentucky Clinic. Services are also provided to the Otolaryngology Clinic located on the third floor of Kentucky Clinic. Inpatient services are provided through UK Albert B. Chandler Hospital, UK Markey Cancer Center, Kentucky Children's Hospital and UK Radiology. Physician and individual referrals are accepted.
The UK Speech Language Pathology team provides evaluation and treatment of a variety of diagnoses in both adults and children, including the following:
- Childhood speech and language disorders.
- Pediatric feeding disorders.
- Evaluation and treatment of dysphagia, a swallowing disorder.
- Evaluation and treatment of acquired neurogenic disorders, as well as other adult speech and language disorders.
- Cognitive evaluations and treatment.
- Pre-operative education for patients prior to laryngectomy.
- Communication assistance to post-laryngectomy patients.
- Modified barium swallow studies (MBS).
- Fiberoptic endoscopic evaluation of swallowing (FEES).
- Assessment for Passy-Muir Speaking Valve for patients with tracheostomy tubes.
- Assessment of velopharyngeal port insufficiency.
Our team offers specializations including:
- Socialization play groups.
- Group treatment for aphasia, a disorder caused by damage to one or more of the language areas of the brain.
- Traumatic brain injury group treatment.
- Involvement in the Lost Chords Club, a group that promotes and supports the total rehabilitation of persons who have had laryngectomies.
To schedule an appointment, please contact the UK Communication Sciences and Disorders Clinic: Phone: 859-257-7918
Find out more
UK College of Health Sciences
UK Communication Disorders Program