The UK medical contact center provides convenient, customer-friendly access to UK HealthCare services for consumers and referring physicians. The contact center is a bridge between patients and caregivers, facilitating referrals, appointments and vital UK HealthCare clinical contacts.
Contact Center Services
- UK Health Connection (for patients and those seeking health information)
- UK•MDs (physician-to-physician referrals)
- UK Children's Triage
Physicians: to refer a patient call toll free 800-888-5533 or 859-257-5522 | Fax: 859-257-6325
UK•MDs is a service unique to UK HealthCare, connecting community physicians and health care providers to UK facilities and services -- 24 hours a day. Our coordinators can arrange a conference call between a community physician, a UK attending physician, and the UK capacity command center nurse to facilitate admission or transfer processes. The UK•MDs coordinators remain on the call to provide any additional assistance.
- Facilitates physician referrals and consults, hospital admissions, hospital transfers, patient appointments and other requests.
- Facilitates community physician referral and consult requests made via the secure online Patient Referral form.
- Works closely with the UK Physician Liaison Program to handle physician complaints and concerns.
- Facilitates Gill Heart & Vascular Institute cath lab activation, Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) and Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) response, RAMPART and Stroke team notification.
- Facilitates UK HealthCare physician requests.
- Maintains a comprehensive database of internal and external physicians available on UK CareWeb (password protected).
- Provides reports to administration, admissions and the UK capacity command center and clinical services.
To make an appointment or find a physician, please call 859-257-1000 or toll free 800-333-8874.
UK Health Connection provides callers easy one number access to make appointments, find a physician or health care services, procedures, screenings, class registrations and to get UK HealthCare literature.
- Dedicated to answering the phone and connecting patients – no other clinic duties.
- Operators stay on the line to ensure call is not lost and appointment is made.
- Assistance to Markey Cancer Center outpatients with medical requests, concerns (Markey‐specific number)
- Trained to listen to the request and find the doctor or clinic needed, even if the caller is not sure.
- Have nurses available to assist with understanding requests.
- Local Lexington knowledge; give driving directions and stay with callers who are lost and driving.
- Monday - Saturday, 7 a.m. ‐ 9 p.m., Sundays & all holidays 8 a.m. – 9 p.m.
- Phones are always answered – phones are put on voicemail only 9 p.m.
- Know which clinic areas and doctors have access and appointment availability.
- Connect caller to the right number to set up, confirm, cancel and reschedule appointment.
This after-hours, weekend and holiday nurse triage service covers calls for pediatricians at UK HealthCare and several contracted community pediatric physician groups in the Bluegrass region:
- Staffed 5 p.m. - 8 a.m. Monday - Friday; 24 hour coverage on weekends and holidays.
- Telephone triage advice is provided by specially trained registered nurses using clinically proven algorithm protocols created by Barton Schmitt, MD.
- All triaged call transactions are entered into a database and then faxed to the pediatric patient's primary care physician.