Questions to Ask Your Doctor
You may want to ask your doctor some of the following
questions before you decide on your cancer treatment.
about Cancer Treatment
- What treatment do you recommend? Why do you think it
is best for me?
- What are the benefits and risks of each of these
- Would a clinical trial (research study) be right for
- How do I find out about studies for my type and stage
- Is surgery an option for me? If so, what kind of surgery do you suggest?
- How long will I stay in the hospital?
- If I have pain, how will it be controlled?
about Other Types of Treatment
- Where will I go for treatment?
- How is the treatment given?
- How long will each treatment session take?
- How many treatment sessions will I have?
- Should a family member or friend come with me to my
about Side Effects
- What are the possible side effects of the treatment?
- What side effects may happen during or between my
- Are there any side effects that I should call you
about right away?
- How can I prevent or treat side effects?
about Medicines and Other Products You Might Be Taking
- Do I need to tell you about the medicines I am taking
- Should I tell you about dietary supplements (such as
vitamins, minerals, herbs, or fish oil) that I am taking?
- Could any drugs or supplements change the way that
cancer treatment works?
Source: For more information, visit the National Cancer Institute website.