- More events will be coming soon. See below for our ongoing activities on-and-around campus.
- Every Monday - Smoking Cessation Class for Markey patients and caregivers. Noon, 306 Whitney-Hendrickson Building (Psych-Oncology Services).
- Every Monday - Meditation. 305 Whitney-Hendrickson Building. 12 - 12:30 p.m. Meditation classes teach a variety of techniques to help clear and calm the mind, promoting emotional and mental well-being.
- Every Wednesday - Yoga for Cancer and Chronic Illness. 305 Whitney-Hendrickson Building. 9:30 - 11 a.m. Yoga classes teach gentle movement, breathing and deep relaxation techniques to reduce stress, pain and fatigue. Beginners welcome. Equipment is provided.
- Every Wednesday - Meditation. 305 Whitney Hendrickson Building. 11:15 - 11:45 a.m. Meditation classes teach a variety of techniques to help clear and calm the mind, promoting emotional and mental well-being.
- Every Wednesday - Tai Chi. 305 Whitney Hendrickson Building. 1 - 1:30 p.m. Tai Chi provides a "moving meditation" centered on breathing exercises with the combination of motion and stillness.
- Every Wednesday - Markey Research Seminars.
See the full schedule »
- First Wednesday of each month - American Cancer Society Look Good, Feel Better program. 10 a.m. - noon, 306 Whitney-Hendrickson Building (Psych-Oncology Services). The Look Good, Feel Better program is dedicated to improving the self esteem and quality of life for people undergoing treatment for cancer.
Download more information or visit the
Look Good, Feel Better website for more information.
- Second Tuesday of each month - Jin Shin Jyutsu Self-Help. 305 Whitney-Hendrickson Building (Yoga Room). 12:30 - 1:30 p.m. Jin Shin Jyutsu uses the power of light touch to assist with pain, stress, nausea and other physical and emotional side effects of cancer treatment. For information, contact Jennifer Bradley at 859-323-1797 or
- Third Monday of each month - Art Therapy Group. 1 - 2:30 p.m., 306 Whitney-Hendrickson (Psych Oncology Services). Express yourself in a supportive, positive setting by drawing, painting and using other art media. All materials provided. Absolutely no art experience necessary. For more information, contact Christina Jewell at 859-323-4895 or
- First Wednesday of each month - Journal Workshop. Noon, 102 Combs Research Building. 12 - 1 p.m. Narrative medicine invites patients and survivors to share stories of life and treatment through guided conversations and personal writing.
- Third Thursday of each month - Smoothie Days are offered at 1 p.m. in room 306 of the Whitney-Hendrickson building (Psych Oncology Services).
Fourth Wednesday of each month - Art Therapy Sampler. Whitney-Hendrickson Building Lobby. 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. Art therapy samplers use the creative process of making art to improve a person’s physical, mental and emotional health.
Markey Cancer Center Support Groups. For more information, contact Joan Scales at 859-323-1403.
Jin Shin Jyutsu at Markey
Jin Shin Jyutsu, similar to acupuncture, harmonizes the energetic system of the body utilizing light touch rather than needles. Jin Shin Jyutsu treatments may be received by working with a practitioner or by using a simple light touch technique known as Self-Help on ourselves. We use this technique daily without thinking as we hold hands, touch our cheeks and generally self-soothe.
When we do these simple holds with awareness, we become empowered to be a part of our own healing process. Come join us each month as we explore different ways we can use Jin Shin Jyutsu Self-Help to assist with side effects of cancer treatment and the stressors of our daily lives. All you need to bring is your hands!