Graduation and program completion requirements
In order to successfully complete the program, interns must:
- Complete a minimum of 1250 supervised hours within fifteen months of starting the program.
- Demonstrate competence on all competencies as defined in the program's learning assessment plan.
- Maintain the professional and ethical code of conduct expected.
- Complete all required rotations, projects, and assignments satisfactorily as assessed by the preceptors, VA Internship Coordinator, and/or Internship Director.
- Pass the comprehensive examination with a score of 75% or better.
- Submit all evaluations of the program and other necessary documentation to the Internship Director.
Interns who successfully complete the internship program will be issued a verification statement by the Internship Director. This form confirms the completion of the supervised practice requirements of the program and provides the student with eligibility to write the registration examination administered by the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR).
Vacation and holidays
Six holidays are granted during the internship year. These include Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, New Year's Day and Martin Luther King's Birthday. If scheduled to work a holiday, a compensatory day will be given at another time. One week of vacation is scheduled at Christmas.
It is the responsibility of the intern to maintain personal health insurance and car insurance. Student health insurance can be purchased though the University. Ambulatory medical services are available through the Student Health Service with payment of an optional student health fee. Interns are covered by University of Kentucky Malpractice Insurance during performance of activities required for completion of the internship program.
Interns are expected to dress professionally and to wear a lab coat over personal clothing and regular shoes for clinical and community experiences. Appropriate shoes are required for working in the food service areas. Lab coats are provided by the hospitals except for the community experiences.
There are other policies that guide our internship. If you would like a complete list of these policies or have specific questions about our program's policies, please contact the Program Director.